The Weekend

"When I was 12, my hair was a dangerous red, according to Hazel here.", I laughed, and took my hot chocolate from Silas. We drove around for some time, before deciding to just park somewhere and stop wasting gas. Mainly because we got lost.

"Dangerous red? That does not sound like me. At all.", Hazel finished her drink. Colin chuckled in agreement.

"Are you calling me a liar?", I looked at her and squinted.

She laughed.

"Okay, just in case any of you ever planned to head back, it's 10:42.", Silas checked his watch. The only hipster I knew who owned a watch.

"Can't we just sleep here? I don't like those old fucks." Hazel whined, and settled into Colin's arms.

"Those 'old fucks' are my parents.", Colin grinned. Silas chuckled, as he started the car. I sighed and closed my car door, just before Silas drove off.

                                + + + + + +

"Oh, my God, do you know what time it is? I have been worried sick about you...uuall, Colin?", she looked at him.

He smiled. "Hey, Mrs. Benson. Yeah, this is my mom and dad's apartment. Well, second one.", he said, plopping down on the couch. My mother's eyes flew open in horror.

And then it hit me.

If this was Colin's parents place, then that means Adam was Colin's brother. If and my mom is meeting Adam's parents, then that means they're getting serious; serious enough for a proposal. Which means that Colin could become by new step-uncle.

Yikes.

"I-I had no idea." My mother said, holding onto the couch for support. Hazel looked at me, as Colin's mother walked into the living room.

Then my mom finally noticed Silas.

Shit.

"Who are you? Bea, did you just bring a total stranger-"

"No, no, mom. This is Silas. My boyfriend, whom I told you about. Don't worry, he's not staying here-"

"No. No, I'm...sure we'll find space for him.", she waved me off, distracted.

"Dinner's ready.", Mrs. Mercer smiled at my mom, who quickly smiled back.

I looked over at Colin's mess of blondish-brownish hair. He had no idea of the mess he'd just caused.

Okay, I know it isn't his fault.

+ + + + +

"Excuse me, everyone. I'd like to make an announcement.", Adam announced, in a shaky breath.

"Thank fuck.", Hazel threw her fork back down on her untouched plate.

I laughed, and in an attempt to shut me up, Silas squeezed my hand under the table. I cleared my throat, getting the message.

Adam turned to my mother. "I wanna do this here, now, so that it's clear to everyone, that I do know how to go after what I want. Or, really...who I want." He paused before dropping down to one knee and taking my mother's hand in his.

"Lily, you're amazing. Every day is made better when I'm with you. You never fail to make me laugh, and you make me feel like...like the happiest guy in the world, just by choosing to put up with my dorkiness. And, uh, it would make me even happier, if that's even possible, if you chose to do that forever.", he breathed, opening a black velvet box, which enclosed a ring.