I'm Sorry

"You gonna eat your grapes?", Silas asked.

I nodded, and grabbed a handful. "I told you to get some.", I said.

"Yeah, but I already left the line, and didn't feel like going back on.", he chuckled.

I shook my head. "No no no, there can only be one extremely lazy person in this relationship. So, since I was lazy before we got together, it should be me.", I said.

"What? You're always lazy. Be productive for once. I wanna be lazy.", Silas responded.

"I hate being productive.", I sighed.

"And you're pretty shit at it, too. You did two questions on the pre-calc homework.", Silas grinned.

"All the more reason that you should be productive.", I finished, unashamed of my homework shortcomings.

Silas laughed. "Fine. Oh, um...I'm not gonna be here tomorrow. Some stupid thing.", Silas said.

"Ugh, I hate those.", I teased.

I pushed around the rice on my plate, thinking. "Do you think anyone would notice if I snuck Hazel into school?", I asked.

"Do you want to get expelled again?"

"That was kindergarten! Don't judge me."

Someone appears behind Silas and tapped on his shoulder. I followed the hand to the girl's somewhat familiar face.

Silas turned around.

"Hey. Are you new?", she asked. I liked her highlights.

"Um, yeah.", Silas said.

"I'm Amber.", she smiled.

Silas nodded and turned back around. I hid my laughter in my palm as she left.

"Uptight asshole. Didn't even say hi to my girlfriend.", Silas grinned.

I pushed his well-earned bowl of grapes over to him.

+ + + +

A couple hours later, there was a knock on my door just as I had begun to get comfy.

"Oh, fuck you.", I said, to no one in particular. I opened the door to Max, who leaned against my door and gave me a quick smile.

"You know, as I sat down, with my pistachio ice cream, I realized something was missing. You. What happened?", he asked.

"Oh, shit, right. The ice cream. I forgot."

"Okay, how about pizza tomorrow?", Max asked.

"Can I bring Silas?", I asked.

"Silas? The guy who broke your heart?", Max asked for clarification.

"Well, he didn't break it, per se, just merely... ran it off course.", I replied.

Max chuckled. "But I thought you hated him?"

"Well, now, I kind of like him, so...", I corrected.

Max nodded.

"I'm free tomorrow. Well, I'm always free but...we could go then.", I suggested.

"Ah, you know what? Forget it.", Max rubbed the back of his neck, and shot me a quick smile. He started to walk away.

Fuck, now I feel bad.

"Max, wait!", I called into the hallway.

What the fuck was I going to say?