Chapter 6

"Oh darling, you look beautiful!" my Mum said, stroking my cheek.

"Mum, stop stroking me, i'm not a cat!" I moaned. God, she was making such a big deal out of this.

"Are you sure you have everything? Money, phone?" she asked.

"Yes, now can we please go or i'm gonna be late!" I said. She nodded and led me to the car. Ben said to meet me when I get there. It would be an understatement to say I was nervous, I was absolutely petrified! I still couldn't believe that Ben liked me. Well, I'm presuming he does. We soon arrived at school, the entrance was decorated with purple and white balloons in an arch. There was a lot of people outside, and I reconised a few. I could see Jordan Smith, with a girl called Courtney clung to his arm. Her face was caked in make up, I could see her false eye lashes from here. Her nails were three times the size that they were meant to be, and her dress was so tight, it looked like a second skin! Then I spotted Max and Matt with Josh.

"Bye sweetie, have fun!" my Mum said as I got out the car. 

"Bye," I said. I pecked her cheek before going to see Max.

"Hey!" I greeted the three of them.

"Wow, you look good," Josh complimented me. I blushed a little. My Mum took me out shopping the day after I went with the three girls to get a dress. The skirt  part came to just above my knee, it was a light turquoise colour. It was quite plain, but it looked alright on me. 

"Who are you guys going with?" I asked.

"Emily," Josh answered.

"Maxy Boy!" Matt said, hugging Max. Max smiled but it he didn't look...happy.

"What's wrong Max? Still feel ill?" I asked, going to his side. He just shrugged.

"Anyway, lets go in, it's boring out here," Josh said. We went in and lets say the school was looking pretty good. The prom was held in the main hall and there was a photographer taking pictures before you went in. Josh, Emily, Max, Matt and I all had a photo taken together. Inside, Emily and I chatted.

"Where's Ben then?" she asked, glancing around.

"I don't know, he should be here by now," I frowned.

"Don't worry, he'll turn up," she smiled reassuringly. We bobbed along to the music for about ten minutes and there was still no sign of Ben.

"Hey! Where's your date?" I heard a voice from behind me. It was the wonderful Courtney! Just who I wanted to see.

"He's not here yet." I said.

"I'm surprised you even have a date," she sniggered. "Who is he anyway?" 

"Ben," I replied.

"Ben? You mean Ben Yates?" She asked, and I nodded. "There's no way he would ask you." 

She looked me up and down, disgusted.

"It was probably a joke. No one would ever go to prom with you," she said. And that's when I slapped her. Straight across her left cheek. She put her hand over where I had hit her and winced in pain. I stormed through the crowd of people in the hall and ran outside, into a nearby park. I could here footsteps behind me. I hoped it wasn't Courtney, or Jordan. God knows what they would do to me after that. I don't even know why I slapped her, I don't know what came over me! I thought it would maybe make me feel better, but it didn't. I felt a hand on my arm. I turned around and saw Max laughing. 

"Amber, that was amazing!" he laughed. "Her face was priceless!" 

I turned away from him.

"Amber?" he asked, concerned. I felt a tear run down my face.

"Amber, what's wrong?" he asked. 

"She was right," I whispered. 

"Right about what?" he asked.

"No one will ever want me. I'm nothing," I choked out. 

"Don't say that!"

"But it's true!" I cried.

"No it's not." He said. He pulled a hankerchief out of his pocket and I dabbed my eyes with it. God, I looked like a mess. I felt like one too. I knew Max was only saying that to make me feel better. He put his finger on my chin and tilted my head up.

"Look at me," he said softly. I was forced to look up into his brown eyes.

"I know someone who has wanted you from the moment he set eyes on you," he whispered. He was so close I could feel his breath on my skin. He wiped more tears away from my eyes.

"Who?" I asked, shocked.

"Me," He breathed, before crashing his lips onto mine. As crazy as it sounds, it felt amazing, like fireworks in the pit of my belly. Our lips moved in sync with each others. Max was my best friend, but this felt so...right.

"That was pretty cheesy," I sniffed, laughing.

"I can tell you loved it," Max laughed.

"Finally!" I heard Matt's voice shout from the other end of the park. Max pulled away, grinning madly.

"I was wondering when you two were gonna get it on!" he shouted. I laughed and blushed a little.

"So, you finally had the balls to tell her, eh?" Josh said once he got closer. 

"How did you know I liked her?" Max asked.

"Even a blind person could see that you love her." he said. My cheeks burned even more.

"Fancy getting out of this shit hole?" Max asked everyone, gesturing to the school. We all nodded. We walked back to Max's house, and for once in my life I was well and truly happy.

I hoped this would've come out better but I'm not a very good writer so, this is as good as it gets, i'm sorry.

vote/comment would be much appreciated!