31: Offer

Savannah:
I just had to make it through one more day then Spring Break would officially start. Just three hours and I would be back home to the safety of my bed. It was on an endless loop in my mind. Yet, when I started making my way down the hall towards the cafeteria, dread filled me. Thankfully, I hadn't run into Mason today but in the back of my mind there was always this nagging voice asking me. What happens if I do see Mason? Will he approach me? What will I do if he does? What will I do if he doesn't? Do people know we're not together anymore? How long will it take for them to find out? I was starting to think that staying home would just be a whole lot easier. Except when I turn around Melanie is standing there. She raises her eyes brows. "You're not thinking about skipping out are you?" She asks. I glance around as a few people walk past us. "I was thinking about it." I admit. She sighs deeply and takes a step forward. "Look, I know that this is hard but you can't leave. You can't give him the satisfaction of knowing that he drove you away. Besides, it's just three more hours then we're on break." She explains. I nod knowingly. "That's what I keep telling myself." I mumble. She glances over my shoulder then looks at me. "How's the hand?" She asks looking down at it. I pull it up into my view. It was just an ugly painful reminder of that night. Yet, somehow I didn't mind it being there. "It's better." I say pulling my hand back. Her eyes meet mine again. "What are you doing for spring break?" She asks. "I'm supposed to hang out with May..but that was before everything." I answer. She looks at me thoughtfully then sighs. "Well my parents beach house is going to be open for Spring Break. I figured it would be a good get away." She offers. "Just me?" I ask. She nods. "Yes, just you. It'll give you time to process everything. Give you some time to yourself. God knows you deserve it." She remarks. I consider it for a moment. "I'll let you know." I agree. She smiles softly at me. "Alright, well text me. You have my number." She states. She squeezes my arm reassuringly then walks away. You can do this. Just three more hours. I pause outside of the cafeteria doors mustering up all the courage I had before stepping through the doors. I step towards the line and grab my trey. "Vanna," Mason's voice fills me with dread. I clench onto my trey. It was on the only thing stopping me from hitting him with it. "I said stay away." I whispered. "I broke it off with her." He mumbled so only I could hear. I look up at him. His eyes were pleading. "Did you expect me to welcome you back with open arms? What part of we're done don't you get?" I grit under my breath. I was trying really hard not to loose my temper. I move through the line getting random food items. "Van-" He pleads. I turn around to face him. "Dont. You don't get to call me that anymore. Just..stay away from me." I breathe out. My temper was starting to wear down. I hated seeming him all torn up but he's the reason that we're done. He's the one who cheated not me. "I'll do whatever it takes to get you back."
"Mason.."
"I promise." He squeezes my good hand then walks away. I force myself to blink back the tears. I didn't need to have a melt down in the middle of lunch. I pay for my food and head towards the table. How could he promise such a thing? Why did he have to screw with my head even more? He lied to me. He betrayed me. And I was stupid enough to believe him. Fall for his trap. A promise is a promise. "Hey," May greets me. Her eyes are bright and so is the smile on her face. I sit down across from her. "I was going to tell you about my date yesterday but you weren't home." She states expectedly. I nod. I didn't have anything else to say to her. "It went great by the way. He took me-" I tuned her out. It angers me that she was oblivious to what was happening. I was there to pick up the pieces when Blake broke her heart. And now when my hearts shattered she's nowhere around. Instead she's carrying on in a little world called Brandon. "Hey, guys." I'm drawn out of my thoughts when Brandon takes a seat beside her. His eyes meet mine. They are warm and welcoming. I look down at my trey. I don't even know why I came to lunch. I'm not hungry. A moment later we're joined by Colton and Clover. His arm brushes mine as he sits down beside me. I glance at him then look away when we make eye contact. I mess with the food on my trey with my fork. "What happened to your hand?" Brandon asks. I look down at my hand. The ugly bruises a reminder of what I did. Everyone looks at me. I draw my hand to my lap and shake my head. "I fell."
"You fell?" Brandon asks. "Yeah?" I say. He opens his mouth to speak but Colton comes to my defense. "Yeah, she landed on her hand. She tripped and tried to catch herself but hit her hand." He said. Brandon doesn't seem to buy it but he nods his head. "So, Savannah, I was telling Brandon that my uncle decided not to go to cottage. So we're going there for Spring Break." May begin. I nod. "And I came up with the great idea that we should all go. It's a three bedroom. We could all couple up. You'll have to invite Mason of course." She oh-so-stupidly gleams at me. It felt like a stab at my heart. Think again sweetheart that douche bag ripped my heart or and stomped on it. Now he's toying with me. Trying to play mind games. Why couldn't he leave me alone? Why did he have to make more promises? "So, can you talk to him?" She asks. No, because we are no longer together because he broke my heart, my trust and his promise. Maybe it's because you're not good enough. A snarky voice reminds me. "Actually..we uh.." I couldn't say it. I couldn't say the words. "We're..staying with his family. It was last minute." I lied. Before May can get the chance to say anything I stand up. I grab the trey off the table. "I'm gonna go but I'll see you at home." I mumble. I turn walking away from the table. I couldn't stop the tears from escaping. I toss my trash in the bin then leave the cafeteria. Hastily I wipe my eyes. "Hey," A voice calls. I turn around to see Mel jogging towards me. A concerned look plays on her face. "Are you okay? I seen Mason approach you." She mutters. I nod meekly. "Yeah, just wanted to tell me he broke it off with Olivia." I say. She frowns at my statement. "But I'll take you up on that offer for the beach house." I add. This makes her smile. "Great, so stop by my place after school. I'll give you the directions and keys."
"Won't you're parents care?" I ask. She shakes her head. "No. Besides they won't be home to notice." She pauses. "Did you tell your brother you were staying at my beach house?" She asks. "No, I told him I'm going to be with Mason. I'm sure he'll figure out its a lie soon enough." I mumble. "Well, if he does. I'll cover for you. I'm sure we can make up a person." She chuckles. I nod in agreement. "Alright, well, I better head back to lunch but I'll see you in a few." She says. I nod knowingly. I turn walking back towards my locker. Only I don't make it around the corner when I see Mason leaning against the wall with Olivia attached to him. I turn back around. It felt like another piece of my heart shattered. A small part of me hoped that maybe he would change. I knew they were sleeping together but seeing them together was icing on the cake. Even after he said they broke up.