38: Cleared Air

Savannah:
I wanted nothing more than to jump out of the car screaming bloody murder. Being stuck in the car with your brother when your angry at him is one thing but being stuck with your ex-best friend is even worse. The air was so thick with tension I swear you could cut it in half. Brandon forced me to sit in the back seat with May. Even though we both protested against it. I think for once we finally agreed on something. If Brandon's car wasn't a two door I would have already jumped out of this car. From the corner of my eye I could see May shifting uncomfortably in her seat. For a moment I felt guilty for not talking to her. After what seemed like a century later we pulled up to the grocery store. Brandon parked the car and shut off the engine. "Wait," He called as Colton tried to open the door. We all stopped waiting for him to speak. "May and Savannah you get the non food items. Here is a list." Brandon said extending his hand to the back. I snatch the list out of his hand secretly hoping that it would give him a paper cut. "We'll get the food and meet back here at the car. May has the spare key." Brandon informed us all. He climbed out of the car and let May out. Colton did the same for me. His hand brushed against my thigh as I climbed out. It sent shivers up my spine. I held his hand for a moment until he closed the car door. He gave me a gentle squeeze then let go. I pull my hand back to my side as Brandon walked around the car. I give Colton one last glance before heading inside the store. I was aware that May was following along behind me. I grabbed a cart and opened the stupid list Brandon gave me. May appeared beside me. "Let's just hurry and get this done. I don't want to be here longer than we have to." I say memorizing the list then handing it to May. She takes it from my hand looking it over. We head over to the health care section. Slowly we got everything on our list without exchanging a word. When we finished we made our way to the front. Which caused my irritation to grow more and more. Brandon was going to take forever on purpose so May and I could talk. "You're total is $47.89." The cashier said. I pull out my wallet hanging over some money. The cashier cashes us out then gives me my change. On our way back to the car May looks like she wants to say something be she doesn't. We load the car in silence then get in. She turns the air conditioning on as well as the radio. Hopefully she doesn't want to talk. "Seriously," She suddenly spoke out. I look over at her. Her eyes meet mine. "So are we not gonna acknowledgement me? After how many weeks of ignoring me?" I ask. Her eyes widen in surprise. "I wasn't-"
"Yes, you were. You were to busy up my brothers ass that you didn't even notice what was happening to me. So screw you, May." I snap. She opens her mouth to speak but I don't give her a chance. "I was there for you when Blake broke you're heart. I supported you and helped you. Where were you when Mason cheated on me, huh? You were with my brother! I even tried to tell you and all you cared about was your stupid date! So no I'm not going to talk to you and pretend that nothing is wrong." I remark. Her eyes start to water and she looks away from me. The car falls silent. I look away from her out at the people walking past to get to their cars. "I'm sorry." She whispered. I look over at her in surprise. "What?" I ask. "I'm so sorry. I know I've been a shit friend. I let some guy get to my head but I don't things to be awkward between us anymore. We used to be really close." She said. I nod my head but doesn't say anything else. "We're cool then. I don't want to fight anymore and as long as you are with my brother you're always going to be around." I say. She offers me a smile. Oddly enough I felt better. I jump when Brandon knocks on the driver window. May opens the door and climbs out letting him get in. She walks around the passenger side and opens the door. "You can sit in the back with Colton." She said. I raise my eyebrow at her but she doesn't say anything. I climb into the car and Colton follows after me. May gets into the passenger seat just as Brandon returns. "What are you doing in the back?" He asked Colton. "Sitting." Colton replied sarcastically. "Babe, let's just go home. I'm tried. There's no sense in moving around now." May cut in. Brandon seems to hesitate but he nods in agreement. He starts the car and backs out of the driving space. I glance at Colton to see him smile a little. I rest my hand on the seat at the same moment he does. His hand brushes mine but it never gets any closer. The car ride home is silent for the most part but not as tense as before. When we approach our house I notice a car in the drive way. "Who's that?" Brandon asks. I look out the window to see that it was a man with dark brown hair. Brandon parks the car and we climb out. "What are you doing here?" Colton says to the man. Brandon seems to know him because he stands off to the side. "We need to talk." The man said. It takes me a moment to realize that he is Colton's father. He looked just like him but older. "We have nothing to talk about." Colton snapped. "Sav, let's go inside." Brandon said. I hesitated looking at Colton but follow after Brandon and May. I head up to my bedroom waiting for Colton to come in. I glance out the window from time to time to find that he and his dad were still talking. "Hey, we're gonna go have dinner with May's parents. You want to come?" Brandon asked. I shook my head. My stomach was in knots. I wanted to stay here and make sure Colton was okay. "I'm probably going to bed." I say. Brandon looks unsure. "Sav? You wouldn't date Colton would you?" He asks suddenly. "What makes you say that?" I ask. He shrugs his shoulders. "I won't date any of your friends, Brandon. Don't worry." I say. This must make him feel better because he leaves the room. I change into a pair of sleep shorts and a tee shirt. I jump in surprise when Colton comes into my bedroom. I couldn't tell what he was thinking from the look on his face. "What did he say?" I whisper unsure on how he would react. "I'm going to inherit my grandmothers money when I turn twenty-five." He said. "Is that a good thing?" I ask. He shrugs his shoulders. "It would be if my family weren't trying to take it from me. That's why my father was here. He wanted me to give him some of the money." He pauses. "When I turned him away he told me that my mother wanted to see me. It doesn't take an genius to know that she only wants the money." I felt my stomach churn. His family was terrible. Again I'm taken by surprise when he hugs me. He hides his face in my neck. I hug him tightly. "You're the only good thing that has happened to me, Savannah. Maybe Brandon is right, I don't deserve you." Colton mumbled. I pulled back looking at him. "Don't say that. I told you I don't care what Brandon thinks. I want you. Not for your money. Not for you looks but because I like you. So don't ever think you don't deserve me. Promise me." I whisper. He seems to hesitate but he nods. "I promise." He agrees. I press my lips to his wrapping my arms tighter around him. I wanted to show him how much I cared. He didn't deserve the way his family treated him. It was terrible.