48: Tickets

Savannah:

It's 2 days until my birthday. It's crazy to think how much has changed since last year. How much I have changed. How my relationships changed. Colton. Mason. May. Mel. I push the thought out of my mind as I gather my homework for my first hour class. The sound of chatter and feet shuffling through the hall filled the space around me. "Savannah," A male voice calls. I recognize it instantly. I turn to meet Mason's gaze. He looked nervous. I couldn't hide my surprise that he was actually talking to me. "Hey," He flashes me a smile. "So, I got you these," He pauses extending his hand. I look down to see a pink envelope. Hesitantly I take it from his hands. "I ordered them a while back. When we were still together." He spoke as I pulled out two art museum tickets in New York. "I was going to give them to you for your birthday." He said. I look at him once more. His eyes scanning mine. "Mason, you didn't have to do this." I finally say. He nods knowingly. "They're non-refundable. Besides, you could take Colton with you. Or even May." He said optimistically. I glance down at the tickets once more. These must have cost a fortune. "Well thank you." I say looking up at him. He flashes me a smile. I used to melt for that smile. "Consider it an early birthday present." He adds. I nod in agreement. "See you around, Vannah." He squeezes my shoulder as he walks around me. I felt confused. I stick the tickets in my folder as I  close the locker door. I turn on my heel heading to class. "What'd Mason want?" Mel asks suddenly appearing beside me. "He gave me tickets to an art museum for my birthday." I explain. "Weird. I wish my ex boyfriend would give me presents for my birthday." She remarks. "Why'd he give them to you?" I shrug my shoulders not wanting to talk about it anymore. "I guess he got the tickets before we broke up." I say.
"Can I see the tickets?" She asks. I reluctantly pull them out of my folder handing them to her. She stops dead in her tracks. "What?" I ask turning to face her. "When did he get these?" She asks. "He said he got them a couple of months ago." I inform her. Her gaze meets mine. "These tickets are sold out. It's for an extremely exclusive art show in New York that didn't start selling their tickets until two days ago." She pauses handing them back to me. "My step dad tried getting some for my mom but they were already gone. Mason just bought these."
What? Why would he do that?
"He said they're non-refundable." I mumble. "They aren't. He must have paid a shit ton of money for those tickets." She remarks. I shove the tickets back into my folder. Her face softened into a concerned look. "Just don't say anything to Colton. Not until I know why he gave them to me." I remark. She nods. We both turn heading back towards class. When I walk in my eyes scan the room until I find Colton. He was scribbling on a piece of paper when I walked towards him. I instantly recognize it. "You didn't finish your homework?" I ask. He glances at me for a moment. "No, I didn't get a chance. Not with the long practices coach is making us run." He mumbled writing down sloppy answers. I slide into the seat beside him. " I could have helped you." I say. He nods knowingly but doesn't say anything else. I turn my attention to the teacher as he prepares for a lecture. The class dragged on for what seemed like forever before the bell finally rang. "Make sure you turn in your work to the drop box before you leave. If it's late then it's half credit." The teacher spoke over the chatter. I gather my stuff walking towards the drop box. I could hear Colton behind me. As I round the corner I bump into someone. My stuff falls onto the floor. "Crap. I'm sorry." A male voice says. "You're okay." I reply kneeling down to grab my stuff. He hands over my textbook. "Thanks." I say. He nods walking around me. "You dropped this." Colton said flashing the pink envelope. I reach forward taking it from his hands. "What is it?" He asked. I felt my cheeks start to redden. I avoid eye contact with him. "Tickets to an art show in New York." I say. "From who?" He asked. "My mom." I lie. He stays quiet for a moment then nods. His hand finding mine. I felt sick. I didn't like lying to him but I couldn't tell him the truth. Not now. Not without knowing why Mason bought them for me. Colton would jump to conclusions and I wouldn't know the truth. I couldn't focus for the rest of the day. My mind was on the tickets. On Mason. Finally it was time to go home. I packed my bag full of textbooks and the tickets. "So, coach canceled practice today since it's supposed to storm. We can finally hang out together." Colton said appearing beside me. "I was thinking going out to dinner." He added with a smile. "I can't. I'm sorry. I already promised Mel I would help her with prom stuff at her place." I lie. His face falls. The guilt building up more. "Well, how about later then? We can order take out and watch movies." He suggests. I smile. "Sounds perfect." I lean in to give him a kiss. "I'll see you later then." He states walking off towards his car when we reach the parking lot. It was only a short walk to Masons house from here. I message Mel to cover for me as I head to the Reed's home. As I around the corner I see Masons car in the drive way. Mustering up all the courage I had I rang the doorbell. A moment later Mason appeared at the door. A confused look on his face. "We need to talk." I say. He steps back from the doorway allowing me to walk in. I follow behind him to the living room. "So what's up?" He asked as we stick across from one another. "You just bought the tickets two days ago. Mel's family tired to purchase them but they were sold out." I speak bluntly. At this point I was annoyed. Annoyed that his did this in the first place. That I had to lie to my boyfriend. "Why'd you buy them?" I ask. "I thought you'd enjoy them." He says looking over me. I shake my head. "I wanted to get them for you." He spoke. "You can't do this anymore, Mason. You can't just buy me stuff. I'm with Colton." I say.
"You're right. You are with him. You moved on with him. A little to quickly I might add." He states. "Excuse me? You're the one who was cheating. You were already seeing other people when you were with me. So you don't get to be mad." I say standing up. I grab my bag off the floor. His hands grabbing my arm as I turn to leave. "I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry that I hurt you but I didn't want to lose you. I don't want to lose you. You're the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you, Savannah." He stepped closer. "I promise if you give me another chance I'll make it up to you. I'll treat you the way you should be treated. I'll love you endlessly. We've known each other for so long to let it all go to waste." He begged. "It kills me to see you with him. To see that he makes you happy. When that should be me."
"You're right. It should have been you but you're the one who fucked that up. So please stop giving me gifts. Stop thinking that you and I are going happened again because we're not. I don't trust you. I can't trust you." I pull my arm out of his hold. "Just leave me alone. Please. You owe me that." I say walking out of the house.