27: Family Dinner

Savannah:
I was feeling anxious. Which seemed a little ridiculous because I had dinner with Mason's parents on countless occasions. I sat on the arm of the couch waiting for Mason to pull up. I tapped my foot on the ground as I waited. "Vanna?" May calls my name. "Huh?" I stop tapping my foot. "Are you okay?" She asks. "Eh, yeah. Just fine." I say. I turn my attention back out the window. Relief rushes through me when Mason's car pulls up. "Gotta go." I announce running out of the house. Mason grins at me as I run towards the car. I climb into the passenger seat. I gave him a quick kiss. "You look beautiful." He compliments me. I smile at him. I was wearing a Cotten white dress with a navy blue cardigan. "My parents can't wait to see you." Mason states happily. I force a smile back. He laces his fingers with mine. I could feel how clammy my hand was in his. He must have noticed because he glances at me. "You nervous?" He asks. I shake my head. "I..I just..Olivia likes you." I blurt out. He looks over at me wide eyed. "What?" He asks surprised. "I see the way she looks at you, Mason. Don't make me feel like I'm crazy." I say. He slows down to a stop in front of his house. "You're not crazy. I just never realized it..I guess." He admits. A rush of relief passes through me. "But if it makes you feel uncomfortable I'll talk to her about it. I promise. There is nothing between us. Even if she wants there to be." He says. I smile at him. He leans in pressing his lips to mine. "Now, come on. My parents want to see you." He says. I open the car door and climb out. Mason walks around and grabs my hand. I follow behind him as we approach the house. It's been a few weeks since I've seen his parents. I've come to love them as if they were my own. They were very caring and loving. His mother, Terri, was very open hearted, loving and big spirited. His father, Ronald, was a strong, confident man. Who took pride in his wife and son. The smell of food filled my nose as we stepped into the house. "Mom, we're back!" Mason called. Terri steps into the entry way. Her long blonde hair was pulled into a neat bun. She was wearing a red summer dress. "Savannah," She opens her arms. I step into them and hug her. She chuckles and steps back. "You just keep getting lovelier and lovelier, sweetheart. You're parents must be proud." She compliments me. I smile at her. "Thank you," I reply. She winks at me as her husband steps into the room. "Savannah, always a pleasure." He gives me a small hug then steps back. Mason laces his fingers with mine. I glance at him and smile. "Well, dinner is almost done. Savannah, would you like to help set the table?" Terri asks. I nod following after her. "So, I heard that Brandon's friend is living with you." Terri states once we are away from the guys. "Oh, yeah." I confirm. She nods glancing at me. "It's so nice of your parents to help that boy." She remarks. She smiles handing me a stack of plates and silver wear. "Is he nice?" She asks. I shrug my shoulders. "He's alright. It's just like having another Brandon in the house." I say. She laughs lightly. "I bet. Follow me." She orders. I follow her into the dining room trailing behind her as she sets the table. "When will you're parents be back?" She asks. "In a few weeks." I reply. She looks at me sympathetically. "Well, I bet you're excited to see them." She says. I smile in agreement. After the table is set I help her bring the food out. "Dinners done, boys!" She calls then turns her attention to me. "Thank you." She said. I nod my head. Mason steps into the room and grins at me. He takes a seat beside me at the table. His parents across from us. "So, Savannah, have you chosen any collages you want to attend in the fall?" Ronald asks. I swallow the water in my mouth. "Yes, sir." I say. He smiles at my reply. "Well, I hope it's somewhere close to our boy." Ronald replies gesturing his head towards Mason. "Of course." I say. "What are you planning to go for dear?" Terri asks. "Uh, education. I think I wanna be a teacher." I say. His parents both smile at me. I take a few more bites of my food as I listen to them tell us about their collage experiences. "So, proms coming up soon." Terri states. I nod glancing at Mason. "Mom, you know I'm going to ask her." Mason remarks. Terri chuckles at him. "But how is what counts, sweetheart." Terri replies. She continues to tell us on how Ronald asked her to prom. I think it's sweet that they were high school sweethearts. You could see the love in Ronald's eyes when he looked at Terri. "Savannah, would you like some desert? I made chocolate cake." Terri asks. Before I get the chance to decline she stands us. "You'll love it, I swear." Terri assured me. "Mason, help your mom clean off the table." Ronald tells Mason. Mason sighs but stands to help. He gathers the plates and silver. I glance at him as he leaves the room. "So, where did you apply for school?" Ronald asked. "Oh, Missouri State is one of my top schools." I say. Ronald nods. "Missouri is pretty far." He says. "I know. I did apply to a few closer to home." I say. A small smile appears on his face. Mason and Terri come back with chocolate cake. I thank Mason and take a small bite of the cake. Man, she always made the best cakes. If I could I would marry this cake. Terri and Ronald continue to make small talk with us until it starts to get later. Now that the sun was starting to set I knew it was time to head back. "Well, we should probably get going." Mason said. Terri frowns for a moment. "Alright, let us walk you out then." She announces. I hold onto Mason's hand as we walk to the front entrance way. Terri envelopes me into a hug. "Come back again soon. It's always great seeing you." She grins. Ronald gives me a quick hug again then steps back. He wraps his arm around his wife's waist. "Thank you for dinner." I say. "Our pleasure." Terri says. I wave one final goodbye then leave the house. Mason trails behind me. I let out a sigh of relief. "So, that was fun." Mason said. I chuckle in agreement. We climb into the car at the same time. Suddenly, I was feeling a little tired. I wanted to get home and relax. Mason starts the car and heads back to my house. It seems like in no time he's pulling up to my drive way. "I'll text you later?" I ask. He nods. I lean in pressing my lips to his. He grabs the side of my face deepening the kiss. After a few minutes I pull back. "Alright, I'll see you later." I say. I climb out of the car and close the door behind me. Mason waits until I'm inside to leave. I close the front door behind me. "I'm home." I call. I walk into the living room to see Chloe and Colton making out on the couch. "Gross. You have a room, you know." I remark. Colton pulls away from Chloe. "I like the couch better." Colton says. I roll my eyes. "Great. Now we're going to have to burn a perfectly good couch." I say. Before he gets the chance to reply I ask a him where Brandon is. "Mays." Colton says. His eyes search mine for a moment. I look away from him when Clover clears her throat. "Ah, Clover, always a pleasure." I force in a cheerful voice. She rolls her eyes. "It's Chloe."
"Whatever." I breathe out. I turn running up the stairs to my room.