16: Promise

Savannah:
As I step into the entrance hall I nearly run into Colton. Thankfully he stops a few inches away from me. A smile appears on his face. "How'd you sleep, neighbor?" He grins. I couldn't stop the smile from appearing on my face. "Great. Aside from the fact that my drunk friend tired to spoon with me all night." I complain recalling the memory. He chuckles at me. "I would have like to see that." He jokes. I scuff, playfully punching his arm. "Don't be a pervert." I mumble. He shakes his head reaching forward to touch my hand. He wraps his long fingers around my palm bringing my hand closer to his face. "So, will I ever get to see this master piece of yours?" He asks thoughtfully. "Maybe, it all depends on you." I say shrugging my shoulders. His brown eyes meet mine. "What would I have to do?" He asks playfully. I grin pulling my phone out of my pocket. I pull up the picture. He steps closer to me. The smell of his cologne fills my nose. I could feel his breath skate across the side of my face. A low chuckle escapees his lips. "I like it. Perfect yet understated." He grins. He looks up at me. He opens his mouth to speak but before he gets the chance Brandon calls his name. I retract my hand from Colton's stepping away from him. "What's up?" Colton asks scratching the back of his neck awkwardly. "Can you give Savannah a ride? I've gotta do a few things." Brandon asks. I raise my eyebrows at him. Brandon glances at me then looks back at Colton. "Sure thing." Colton agrees. From the corner of my eye I see a smirk play on his lips. Colton grabs my wrist pulling me out the front door. He drops his hold from my hand and unlocks his car. "Oh, I have to pick up some friends. Is that okay?" Colton asks. I shrug my shoulders and nod. Even if it wasn't I didn't have a say. Unless I wanted to walk. I climb into the passenger seat of his car. Suddenly the memory of me stealing his car pops back into mind. I couldn't help but chuckle to myself. Colton glances at me with a knowing look then starts the car. He backs out of the drive way heading down the road. "Who exactly are we picking up?" I ask causally. "Oh, uh, my friend Devon and his brother Alex. They're pretty great guys." Colton informs me. After we fall into a comfortable silence. I roll down the window and stick my hand out; feeling the cool breeze against my skin. I watch the scenery as Colton approaches a yellow house. He slows down parking the car in front of the car. He honks a few times. "You couldn't go up to the door?" I ask looking at Colton. He shakes his head at me. "To lazy." He mumbles. I roll my eyes at him. I pull my phone out of my pocket when it starts to ring.
Babe💕: Can we talk? I hate fighting with you.
Me: I hate being lied to. So I guess we're both disappointed.
I click closed my phone setting it on my lap. I look up to find two guys making their way towards the car. One was tall and built. He had light blonde hair. He was dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and a v-neck tee. The other boy was shorter and plumper. He had a baby face that went with his dirty blonde hair. He was dressed in basketball shorts and a band tee. The light blonde hair boy opens the door first. He climbs in sliding over to give his brother room. His hazel eyes meet mine and he smiles. I offer him a smile back. The other boy steps in and closes the door. "Sup, bro?" The lighter blonde asks fist bumping Colton. "Who's this?" He asks. Colton mets my gaze. A smile appears on his face. "This is Savannah," He tells them. "Van, this is Devon," Colton points to the lighter blonde. "And that's Alex." He points to the dirty blonde. The both grin at me. "Hi," I greet them. Colton turns in his seat and pulls back onto the road. "So, Savannah what are you doing hanging out with this dweeb?" Devon asks. I laugh lightly. "I ask myself the same question everyday." I reply jokingly. Colton rolls his eyes. "She's Brandon's little sister." Colton informs them. As if they didn't already know. "Wait, your Reeds girl aren't you?" Alex asks. Devon must have elbowed him because Alex mumbles an ow. I glance over my shoulder looking at them. "Yeah, I guess I am." I reply. "You guess?" Devon asks. He raises his eyebrow at me. I nod my head slowly. "Well it's such a shame because you are hot." Alex blurts out. Colton looks over at him at the same time Devon does. "Dude, five bucks, now." Devon demands holding his hand out. Alex mumbles under his breath pulling out two $5 bills. He hands one to Devon and the other to Colton. "I'm confused. What's going on?" I ask. Colton shakes his head. "Nothing, it's just whenever someone says something that makes him sound like douchebag they own everyone in the car five bucks. It's something we do when one of us is full of hot air." Devon explains. I nod knowingly. Colton pulls into the school parking lot and parks the car. We all get out at the same time. "Stick with us, Kid. You'll have lots of fun." Devon says throwing his arm around my shoulder. I laugh shaking my head at him. "I'm sure." I say sarcastically. I stop in my tracks when we walk into the school. "Shit," I mumble under my breath. I look over my shoulder to see Colton already looking at me. Blake looked pissed. Beyond pissed. He looked like he was out for blood. His eyes meet mine and he glares at me. He walks towards me. "You think you're funny, Hastings?" He spat. I flinch back. "Is there a problem?" Colton asks stepping closer to me. Blake glares at him then looks at me. "She's my problem." Blake remarks coldly. "I know it was you who wrote on my wall. You can try to deny it all day long." He mutters. I roll my eyes at him. "You have no way of proving that." I smirk. Yes, I was afraid of what Blake could do but I wasn't going to show him that. "You're lucky for friends are here. Don't worry, Savannah, I'll get you alone." He threatens. Blake's fist ball up but he backs away. His eyes never leave mine until he turns around. I let out a breath that I didn't know I was holding. "Shit that dude is intense." Devon mumbles. I nod my head in agreement. I can't find myself to say anything. "Are you okay?" Colton whisper. "Sure," I lie. Devon and Alex glance at one another then nod. "Alright, well we're off to class. See you around, kid." Devon says patting my shoulder as he walked by. Alex winks then follows behind his brother. Colton eyes meet mine. "I.." I couldn't say anything else. He grabs my hand leading me back out of the school. We head towards the baseball field. Why was I so stupid? I knew better than to piss Blake off. "Hey," Colton turns when we are standing in the dugout. I shake my head. "He's gonna..I didn't mean to..I wish I could take it back." I mumble. I could feel my eyes start to water. Colton shakes his head. "I won't let anything happen to you." He said. I wrap my arms around his waist hugging him tightly. "You promise?" I mumble against his chest. I could hear his heart thump loudly. It made me wonder why. He lets out a shaky breath as he wraps his arms around me. He holds me tightly to him. "I promise." He whispers. I don't know why but that makes me feel better.