45: Dinner and Truth

Savannah:
As we pulled into the restaurants parking lot my heart was starting to race in my chest. This was it. It was now or never. Colton squeezes my hand but doesn't say anything else before getting out of the car. We walk inside in silence. I scan the restaurant spotting my parents in the center. They were in the middle of a conversation when we approached the table. "Hey," I smile sitting across from my father. Colton was seated next to me. I glance nervous at me. The waitress appeared at the table wearing a large smile on her face. She was kind and prompt when taking our order. After she finished she left without another word. "What did you guys think of the show?" My father asked starting the conversation. "It was great." Colton replied. My father looked pleased by his hard work. "Most of the painting were from New York. They have a internship if you were still interested, Savannah." My mother informed me. I wanted to be an art consultant like my parents. They hosted art shows from time to time with paintings they bought from other artists. It has always been my interest. "What about you, Colton?" My mother asks. "Oh, I want to be a forensic analyst." He said. My mother nods again. The waitress arrives with our food setting our plates down in front of us. "So, you guys wanted to have dinner. What did you want to discuss?" My father started the conversation. Colton clears his throats. "Sir, I want to formally get your blessing to date your daughter." Colton spoke with confidence. I bite my lip looking between him and my parents. Their expressions are unreadable. "When did this start?" My father asks. "Just a few months ago." I speak up. My father looks at me. "Does Brandon know?" He asked. I shake my head. He sighed deeply. "I had an inkling." He paused looking at my mom. She offers him a small smile. "You're a great young man. Good head on your shoulders. So, yes, you guys have my blessing." He stated. I felt myself smile. "But there are going to be rules." He added. "You have to sleep in your own rooms. If I find you in daughters room you'll be out in the streets." He started. "Second, when you are in the room. Your bedroom doors must stay open." He said. We both nod. "Lastly, you have to tell Brandon. He's your friend and your brother. He has a right to know." He said. I knew Brandon had the right to know but he was going to be more difficult than my parents. Dinner carried on without a hitch. My parents were really laid back about Colton and I. As we gathered to leave my mother looped her arm through mine making sure to walk a few steps ahead of the guys. I glance over my shoulder to see my face talking to Colton. "Do you like him?" She asks. I look back at her. "I do." I say. "Me too. He's a nice boy. Polite too." She smiled. I couldn't help but smile as well. "You know when you two were little he'd follow you around everywhere. Even back then your brother got jealous of you being his friend." My mom stated. "But I knew. I had a feeling you two you date. I want so sure about it when Mason came around." She stated. "Yeah, Mason was a mistake." I say. She gives me a knowing look. "Honey, I could have told you that. If a man can't respects her parents then he won't respect the girl. We met him several months after you were involved." She stated. I nod my head knowingly. "I just hope you're not doing this out of spite to get back at Mason because Colton really likes you. You can see it when he looks at you." She smiled. "No, this has nothing to do with Mason." I assure her. A grin appears on her face. "I just want you to be happy." She said. "Thanks, mom." I say. She nods patting my arm with her hand. My father and Colton catch up to us. My dad winks at me as he takes my mothers hand. I step back walking beside Colton. "Do you want to go for a walk?" He asks. I nod head. "Hey, we're gonna walk home. If that's okay?" I ask my dad. He looks between the both of us and smiles. I turn to Colton who extends his hand. I gladly take it in my own and following him along the side walk. The evening air was settling in. It was crisp but bearable. "What did he say to you?" I ask. He chuckles nervously. "He said that he knows I'll take care of you but if I hurt his little girl he'll have my jewels on a plater." He said. I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. "Oh my go-I'm sorry." I say. He laughs pulling me closer. "No, I thinks it's sweet that he cares so much about you. Besides he's not the first person to threaten me in the last two days." He informs me. I raise my eyebrow at him. "Mel." He stated. I laugh at the thought of her threatening him. It was hard to believe that Mel and I hated each other so long ago. Now we were inseparable. She was my best friend. "So, how are we going to break it to Brandon?" Colton asked changing the subject. I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know. He's going to be mad that we didn't tell him." I say. Colton stays quiet for a moment. "So? You said your parents approval was the only one that mattered."
"It does but you guys are best friends. Practically brothers. Besides, you have nationals in a few weeks." I remark. Colton nods knowingly. "Well, we'll have to tell him soon. He can't find out through anyone else." He said. I knew he was right but I was scared. Brandon was more against us being together than anyone else I knew. And I didn't know why. He wouldn't give me a solid answer. "Tomorrow. We'll tell him tomorrow." Colton announced. Even though I wish we had more time I knew it had to be soon. He's going to be anger either way but he'd flip if someone told him.