29: Confirmation

Savannah:
I barely slept. My head hurt from the lack of sleep. School was an absolute nightmare. Trying to be around Mason and pretending to not know anything rendered to be a lot harder than I thought. Thankfully, when I came home I got to unwind from the day for a little while. Eventually I forced myself to get into the shower but once I was inside the warmth of the water I didn't want to leave. It made me feel safe for a little while. Though it didn't seem to last long when the water started to turn cold. Reluctantly, I turn off the water and get out of the tub. I wrap a white cotton towel around my body. It felt soft against my skin. I leave the bathroom and head back to my bedroom. I start rummaging through my dresser until I find a comfortable pair of under garments to put on. I change into black Nike leggings. I match the leggings with my blue Fault in Our Stars sweatshirt. I glance at the time on my alarm clock to see that it was 9:56 pm. Melanie was going to be here soon. I lock my bedroom door and walk to my window. I open it and climb out onto the small roof. I shimmy across until I can reach the branch. When I get ahold of it I climb down until I'm on the ground. I run across the yard and head towards the end of the street where I told Mel to meet me. I slow down to a jog when I see her car waiting. I open her car door and slid into the passenger seat. She offers me a warm smile. I close the door and buckle up. "So, where exactly are we going?" I ask. My stomach felt like it was in knots. "Uh, they meet in a little motel just out of town. I followed them out there a few nights ago." Mel explains slowly. I felt my heart sink. Part of me still wanted to believe this was all a lie. I clasp my hands together to keep them from shaking. I felt like a nervous wreck. I didn't know what to do or what to think. "Savannah, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry..you have to find out this way." Melanie apologized. I glance at her at the same time she looks at me. "Yesterday, you said you knew what it felt like..what did you mean?" I ask. She takes a deep breath. "I didn't always hate you, you know. Back in the day, I used to date Blake." She explained. "That was until he met your friend, May. He informed me that he had been seeing her for a few weeks and he wanted to call it quits between us." Her voice wavered. "Say what you want about Blake but I loved him. More than he ever loved me. I guess I didn't like you because you were guilty by association." Mel glances over at me. I felt bad for her. Blake not only played May but he played Melanie as well. "We're almost there." Mel informs me. My heart starts to beat loudly in my chest. Mel pulls into the motel parking lot. I literally felt like I was going to be sick when I seen Mason's car. Before Mel gets the chance go park the car I jump out. "Savannah," Mel calls my name. I run towards the motel office but she catches up to me before I get the chance to go in. "What are you going to do? We have to have some sort of plan." Mel said. I did have a plan. Beat the living crap out of Mason. She sighs, peering through the small window of the door. "Okay, I've gotta plan. Just follow my lead." She states. She adjusts her breasts in her shirt then walks in. The kid at the desk looks surprised. He looks like he's around our age. "Can I help you with something, Miss?" He asks. Mel smiles at him. She leans against the desk so her breasts are in his view. His eyes lock on them. "Yes, is there any way you could show me the guest list?" She asks. The kid behind the desks finally looks up at her. He seems nervous. "I'm sorry, I can't. My parents would kill me." He said. I wanted to reach over that desk and hit him. "How about if we show you a picture. Can you tell me if you recognize him?" Mel asks in a flirty tone. The kid nods slowly. Mel glances over her shoulder at me. I take my phone out and pull up a picture of Mason. I step forward so the kid could see him. His eyes travel from Mel to my phone. Realization hits his face. "Oh, yes. He's one of our regulars."
"Regulars?" I ask. He nods. "For how long?" I feel my voice growing thicker. "A few months. He doesn't stay for very long. An hour or so. Then he returns the room key. He comes twice a week with the same girl." He says. I wanted to be sick. "Is she blonde?" I ask. The kid nods again. His eyes search mine and he sighs. He turns grabbing a book from behind him. "They always sign in under Mason Reed." The kid says pointing to it. Sure enough there was Mason's sloppy signature. Anger instantly filled me. That stupid bastard. How dare he! The kid tucks the book away and turns to face us again. "How long have they been here now?" Mel asks. "About 20 minutes. More or less." He answers. I turn walking out of the office. From behind me I could vaguely hear Mel thank him. She rushes after me. "All this time I was so stupid to think it wasn't true. That maybe this was all some sort of sick joke." I felt my eyes start to water. I stop in front of Mason's car. I couldn't help myself from punching his car. Pain radiated from my knuckles and up my wrist. I couldn't stop myself from hitting his car. "Hey," Mel's called but her voice seems to far away. I grabbed the brick off the ground and smashed Mason's car window. "Savannah," Mel's worried voice breaks me out of my trance. I yank open the to the driver side door. "What are you doing?" Mel asks. I pull off my stupid promise ring and throw it onto the seat. There was no way he could miss it. "We should go before they come back." Mel states. I nod in agreement following her back to the car. After a safe distance away from the motel I felt myself start cry. I couldn't stop the sobs that escaped my lips. I covered my face bending down to lay my head on my knees. He had been cheating on me this entire time. How could he carry on and act like he wasn't doing anything wrong? Like he wasn't hurting me. That stupid asshole. God, I must have been so stupid to think he wouldn't be there. "We're almost to your house." Mel said. I sit up. "No, I left my ring in his car. He'll know I was there. I can't go home. I don't know what I'll do if he shows up there." I start to sob. Mel gives me a worried look. "Alright, then we can go back to my house. My parents aren't home anyways." Mel offered. I didn't have any other options so I agree. I wipe away my tears as we approach her house. After parking her car we head inside. Mel leads the way up to the stare guest room. "If you need anything, I'm right through there." She points to the conjoined bathroom door. I thank her once again as she leaves my room. I crawl towards my bed and curl up into a ball. It doesn't take long before I'm crying again. I tried to muffle my sobs as best as I could before I finally drifted off to sleep.