Chapter 27- Sophie

Chapter 27

Sophie:

I sat on the concrete bench, watching as they lowered Ricky's body into the ground. Only I was there, if you don't count the priest and the men lowering the coffin into the ground. No one knew I even gave Ricky a funeral, and I wanted to keep it that way. No one knew how much I cared about him, despite the horrible things he did. I understood why he wanted me to kill him. I understood it perfectly. And although I was happy he was gone, I was still saddened by it, too.

I hated Ricky. But I also cared for him the way I never thought I would care for him. Once they had finished lowering his body, I went to the edge and watched them fling dirt on top of the mahogany coffin. I went to turn away, then froze when I saw Justin standing by one of the trees in the middle of the graveyard. He smiled sadly at me, then took a few steps forward. I hadn't seen him ever since when he was in the hospital- because of Ricky.

I let out a stifled cry and ran to him, flinging my arms around him and cried into his shoulder. He rubbed my back and pulled back, gazing at me. His eyes were full of nothing by love for me. He leaned down and kissed me, and I kissed back. The sparks flew between us, just like they always had. There had been no sparks with Ricky.

He pulled back. "I missed you, Sophie."

"I missed you, too, Justin."

"I'm proud of you."

"Why?" I asked, confused.

"Because you're stronger than anyone would ever give you credit for," he replied. I began to cry again, knowing exactly what he was talking about. He pulled me into another hug, letting me cry into his shoulder. "I also have good news."

"What?"

"I'm moving back to Florida, to be with you. I finished my classes in London a week ago. I wish I could've come sooner, Sophie. After you sent me that email explaining what happened, I wish I could've come. I'm sorry," he said, sounding apologetic.

"It's okay, I understand, Justin. I've been staying with Mom and Darius ever since... well, what happened a few days ago."

He kissed me again, bringing me into a warm embrace. I held him, kissing back. I missed Justin desperately, and was so glad he was back in my life.

"I love you," he whispered, pulling back and letting our foreheads touch.

"I love you, too," I told him, closing my eyes and wishing this moment would last. "Let's go home. I know there's someone who's dying to see you. Actually two someones."

"Oh, really?" he asked.

"Really."

~

Two weeks later, Justin moved into my apartment. I moved back in with Naomi and Kodiak, who were excited to have Justin live with us almost as much as I was. Almost everything that had happened with Ricky was a memory now, even thought I still had nightmares about what happened. Every night I would wake up, panting, and covered in sweat. Justin was always there, pulling me into his embrace and calming me down, helping me go back to sleep. I was grateful for him, always being there for me.

One night, Justin was making dinner while I set the table. "Justin, I need to tell you something," I blurted out without thinking. He turned away from the onions that were sizzling in a pan on the stove and looked at me.

"What's wrong, Soph?" he asked.

"I cared for him," I admitted, looking him straight in the eye. He sighed and looked at me, and I knew he understood.

"It's okay, Sophie," he said, coming over to hug me.

"I just thought you should know. But I never loved him. I could never love him. At least not in the way I love you," I told him, wrapping my arms around him.

"Speaking of which," he said, pulling away from me. "I want to ask you something, Sophie."

I stared at him. "Yeah? What is it?"

He held my hands and brought them up to his lips, kissing them softly. "Sophie, I love you so much," he said. Then he did the unexpected, throwing me off-guard. Still holding my hands, he kneeled on the tile, looking up at me. His next words made my heart skip a beat, then do flips in my chest. "Sophie, will you marry me?"

The tears formed at the edges of my eyes as I smiled. I nodded, without hesitation. "Yes," I whispered. "Of course I will."

He smiled and sighed in relief, then reached into his pocket and pulled out a white gold band with a tiny diamond on the top. He slipped it onto my finger and stood back up. I threw my arms around him and he picked me up by the waist, lifting me up. We both laughed, and then I kissed him.

"I love you," I told him, pulling back. And I meant it.