Chapter 1- Sophie

Chapter 1

Sophie:

I opened the door to my apartment and gazed inside. It seemed as if there was never-ending darkness. I stepped inside and shut the door, locking it behind me. I jumped when I heard someone approaching me. I knelt down and gave my dog a huge hug.

"Hey Naomi, you miss me?" I said. She licked my face, and I took it as a yes. I stood back up and set my bag and keys on the counter. I turned on the bright kitchen light and walked over to the pantry. I took out the heavy bag of dog food and filled Naomi's bowl, then replaced her other bowl with fresh water.

After she started eating, I grabbed my bag and went upstairs to my room. I opened the door and walked over to my bed. I dumped my bag on my bed and took off my boots. I was exhausted. Working seven hours at a bar each night gets tiring- especially when you're a waitress. I always have to deal with drunks hitting on me, thinking they'd actually have a chance. Ha.

I looked over at my bedside table and stared at pictures of Justin and me. God, I missed him. He's in London for two years for school. He'd only been gone five months, but it's felt like ten years.

I walked into my bathroom and turned on the shower. I smelled like musty alcohol, and I desperately needed a shower. I stripped out of my white shirt and black shorts and stepped into the hot, steamy water. I washed my hair and body, and once I was satisfied I smelled good, I got out. I walked out of the bathroom and found Naomi lying on my bed, chewing on her bone. I got dressed in my pink tank top and flannel shorts then sat on the bed beside her. I looked at the clock and was surprised to see it was almost four in the morning.

"Well, looks like I'm going to have to pull an all-night study session, Naomi. Are you up to it?" I asked her, stroking her soft, gentle fur. She looked up from her bone and barked in reply. "Okay, let's do this."

I opened my bag and pulled out my college algebra textbook and notebook. I put them on the other side of the bed and pulled out my English and biology textbooks. I set them next to my algebra book and stood up. I'm going to need some coffee if I'm going to get all of this done.

I walked downstairs to the kitchen and turned on the coffee maker. I got down my huge coffee cup then waited for the coffee to be made. When the coffee maker dinged, I poured the hot, black liquid into my cup. I ran back upstairs, coffee in hand. I was ready to study.

After an hour of studying and taking notes, I jumped and almost spilled my coffee when the doorbell rang. Naomi picked her head up and silently growled.

"Down girl," I said, patting her back. I stood up and motioned her to follow me. "Come on."

We both walked down the stairs and quietly tiptoed to the front door. I looked through the peephole and didn't see anyone. Naomi growled beside me, warning me of possible danger.

"It's okay, it's probably just some stupid prank," I said, unlocking the door. I opened it and poked my head out, looking down the walkway. It was deadly silent. The lights on the concrete ceiling were flickering on and off, and there was a cool breeze blowing. The air smelled of old pine wood. I looked out over the metal railing and gazed at the fountain in the courtyard. The moonlight was reflecting off the dribbling water, making it shine silver. I shivered, trying to shake that feeling of being watched again.

I was about to pull my head back inside, but something on the cold ground caught my eye. I fumbled for the light switch next to the door to turn on the outside light and looked down to see what it was. I gasped and stood there, frozen.

A single red rose was lying on the welcome mat to my house. There was a red satin ribbon tied around it. No... this couldn't be happening. Is this some sick joke? Ricky was dead. He was never coming back.

I pulled my head back inside and slammed the door. I locked it and turned off the outside light. Putting my back to the door, I slid down to the ground, comforted by Naomi. I glanced at the scar that Ricky had given to her. It was over a year ago, but the mark would always be there.

I remember stabbing him, listening to him whisper his last few words after he fell to the floor.

"I love you, Sophie..." he said. I didn't think I would ever get the image out of my head. I watched them carry his body out of my room. Was he really not dead? No, he's dead. He has to be dead. There's no possible way he could have survived.

I shook my head and stood up. I need to stop doubting myself, or I'll really believe he's back. I walked back up to my room and returned to studying.