Chapter 10- Sophie

Chapter 10

Sophie:

Sunshine flooded in through the windows as I blinked my eyes open.

"Good morning, Sleeping Beauty."

I sat up, noticing Justin pulling on his shirt at the foot of the bed. I rubbed one of my eyes and yawned.

"Good morning," I muttered.

"I ordered you breakfast. It's a surprise though," he told me, winking.

I giggled softly. "Thank you. But just for me?"

He sighed. "Yeah, I have class today. I'm sorry, Sophie."

"No, no, it's fine. Class is important. Besides, I wanted to take a tour of London today with Naomi," I reassured him. "We can meet up after. Go to dinner or something."

He came over to the side of the bed and lean over to give me a kiss. "I would love that," he said, smiling.

"Then it's a date," I said, putting the air quotes around the word 'date'.

"Of course it is," he laughed.

I swung my legs over the bed and walked over to my suitcase. Choosing my clothes for the day, I carried them into the bathroom and set them on the counter. I felt arms slid around my waist and pull me back into a rock-hard chest.

"I'll miss you," I heard Justin whisper into my ear. I turned around and kissed him passionately. When I pulled back, we both smiled at each other.

"I'll miss you, too. I love you," I said.

"I love you, too. Bye," he said, kissing my forehead.

I laughed. "Bye."

And then he walked out of the bathroom, leaving me alone. I turned on the shower and waited for the steam to rise.

Once out of the shower, I got dressed and walked out into the living room. There was a silver cart at the door, with a tray of food on it. I didn't feel that hungry, so I decided to skip it. I looked over at Naomi, who was lying on the couch, looking bored.

"Hey, you want to go for a walk?"

As soon as I said walk, she was off the couch and at the front door in less than five seconds. I laughed and grabbed her leash, then hooked it onto her collar. Making sure I had my wallet and hotel key, we left the hotel.

Leaving the hotel, I saw the park we were in before busier than yesterday. People were walking dogs, talking on cell phones, eating, and playing with their kids. Deciding to skip it, we headed towards an old looking church. The huge bell up in the tower was ringing loudly, and people were gathering outside of it.

I stopped on the opposite side of the street, watching. There was a wedding going on, and the bride and groom were walking out of the doors and down the marble steps, waving to everyone. Some people were throwing rice, some were crying, and others were cheering. I smiled, silently hoping they would be happy together, even though I had no idea who they were.

We continued walking down the street, passing bakeries and shops. While passing an animal shelter, Naomi stopped, gazing at one of the dogs in the window. It was another German shepherd, but he didn't look happy. He looked really depressed, just lying there, looking out the window. When he saw Naomi, he picked his head up and looked at her. Naomi's tail was wagging, and she barked.

"Is someone getting a little crush, Naomi?" I asked her, eying the dog in the window. She looked up and whimpered at me. He was a beautiful dog. He looked almost like Naomi, except she had more black fur. I looked at his description sheet on the side of his cage. His name was Kodiak, and he was five years old. I considered what Naomi was trying to tell me. We walked into the store, where we were greeted by a clerk.

"Hello, can I help you?" he asked. He looked down at Naomi and kneeled down, petting her. "Beautiful dog you have, miss."

"Thank you," I said. "I was wondering what you could tell me about the German shepherd in the window over there," I said, pointing.

The man stood up and walked in the direction of the window. "Ah, yes, Kodiak. He's been here for a few months. His family abandons him in their house, and that's when we saved him. Poor thing has been through a lot in the past few months. He hardly plays or gets excited."

I shuddered at the thought of ever abandoning Naomi. I could never live with myself if that ever happened. "Well, I was wondering how much he is. Naomi seems to like him a lot," I told the man.

"Well, he is a purebred... but you're the first person to actually become interested in him. I'd say a few hundred for him, but I'll give you a discount if you are considering buying him."

We both watched as Naomi went over to the cage and licked it. I sighed, knowing there was no way out of this.

"Well, it seems as if I have no choice. Looks like Kodiak is coming home with us, Naomi." She barked and wagged her tail, seeming as if she understood what I was saying. I looked back at the clerk, who smiled at me.

"Good, I'm glad," he said, unlocking Kodiak's cage. "I'm sure he's happy to going with you."

Kodiak jumped out of the cage and immediately began sniffing Naomi. He licked her muzzle, and she licked his. I knew I was making the right choice for Naomi, and for me. The clerk led me over to some collars and leashes, helping me choose one, then ringing everything up at the register. I was surprised when he told me the price.

 "That's it? I thought you said a few hundred?" I asked. Handing him my credit card.

He swiped my card and smiled. "Yes, but I also said I'd give you a discount. I'm the owner of this store, and in over thirty years of working with animals, I have never seen a more depressed dog. You're saving his life, and I thank you for that." He handed me my card back and a receipt.

"Thank you so much," I told him, smiling.

"No, thank you."

I nodded, smiling, and then walked out of the store with both Kodiak and Naomi. Walking down the sidewalk, both Kodiak and Naomi walked side by side. Instead of continuing to tour the city, which would no doubt take more than a few days, I decided to take them to the dog park behind the hotel.

When I walked back into the hotel, the same guy as yesterday greeted me. He gave me a questionable glance when he realized I had two dogs instead of one.

"I just got him," I told him.

"He's beautiful," he told me, smiling.

"Thanks," I told him. "Where's the dog park?"

He pointed to the right. "Down those halls, take a left to the pool, and it's just beyond the garden. You can't miss it."

"Okay, thank you."

I followed his directions and soon made it to the dog park. I took off both of their leashes and let them run free, playing with each other. There were acres of land at the dog park, and I'm glad they could have fun.

I jumped when my phone rang from my pocket. I dug it out and answered it.

"Hello?"

"Where are you, Sophie? Tell me where you are right now."

I froze and dropped the phone on the bench I was sitting on. No, how did he get my number? That's impossible. I blocked all numbers that weren't programmed into my phone. I picked back up the phone and put it to my ear.

"How the hell did you get my number," I choked out.

"Sophie, tell me where you are. I can't find you. Where did you go, goddammit?!" he screamed into the phone. I flinched but kept the phone in my hand.

"Somewhere you'll never find me. Now just leave me alone!" I shouted, hanging up the phone. How did he get my number? Why wasn't it blocked?

Most importantly, what would he do if he could never find me?