Chapter 9- Sophie

Chapter 9

Sophie:

"Come on, Naomi," I said, getting out of the taxi. The driver got out and popped the trunk, dragging my suitcase out of the back. I handed him some money and smiled, thanking him.

"Have a good day, miss," he said in a thick British accent. He slammed the trunk and went to the driver's side.

"You too," I said as he got in the car. He drove off without another word. I looked down at Naomi, who looked back up and whimpered. "Come on, girl."

I grabbed my suitcase and rolled it up the walkway to the hotel with Naomi trailing close behind me. We approached the door and opened it. We were greeted by a blast of cold air, causing my hair to fly back. Naomi went in first, making scratching noises as her nails scraped the tan marble floor. I followed her with my suitcase. We approached the front desk. A young man, looking no older than twenty looked up at me and smiled.

"Hello, can I help you?" he asked in a British accent. I was still trying to get used to it, reminding myself this wasn't America.

"Yeah, can I get a room for a couple of nights? Maybe a week?" I asked, hopeful.

"Of course. Single or double?"

"Single, please."

"Okay, we have two rooms available. One is on the twenty-ninth floor and the other is on the eighth. Twenty-ninth is a little bigger and not much more expensive. Would that be okay?"

I remembered checking my bank account before leaving the airport. I almost choked when I saw that Mom and Darius had put over five thousand dollars in there. I called them, protesting that I didn't need that much and I would send most of it back, but they refused. They said I would need it, so I chose not to argue.

"Yes, that's fine," I finally replied.

"Okay, I'm going to need a credit card on file, just in case anything happens. And also some proof of ID."

I swung my bag off of my shoulder and pulled out my wallet. Getting out my credit card and driver's license, I handed him both. He swiped my card and handed both of them back to me. A moment later, he handed me a hotel key.

"Here you go," he said as I took the key. "I hope you have a good day. That's a beautiful dog, by the way."

"Thank you," I said, smiling. "Come on, Naomi."

"We have a dog park, past the garden out in the back. It's huge, and I'm sure she'd love it," he added. I turned and nodded to him, smiling, then turned back around when the phone rang, drawing his attention away from me.

We walked over to the elevators and I pressed the button. The door dinged and opened. Naomi and I quickly walked in, and I pressed the number twenty-nine. After it passed floor fifteen, I turned when I saw bright sunlight coming in from behind me. It was breathtaking. I looked out the glass elevator and saw all of London. Tall, light brick buildings towered over smaller ones and people walked along the streets and sidewalks. Far off in the distance, I saw the world-famous Big Ben, hoping I would visit it while I was here. Soon the door dinged again and opened up at the twenty-ninth floor.

I rolled my suitcase out and Naomi followed. We walked down the hall until I got to the room. I inserted the key and turned the knob, pushing the hotel door open.

"Whoa..." I breathed. We walked into a huge room with a large TV on the wall, with a couch and chair in front of it. I walked down a little hallway to the left, revealing the bedroom. To the right was a huge king-sized bed with more pillows than I thought would be possible to fit on a bed. The bed had a faded green and brown bedspread, matching the pillows. The walls were a bamboo green color, with tan-colored carpets. To the left was a huge bathroom with white marble floors and walls.