Chapter 25- Sophie

Chapter 25

Sophie:

I gasped, taking a step back. I wasn't the one? What did that mean, exactly? I watched as he slowly stepped away from me and out of the bathroom. I walked to the doorway and peeked out into the bedroom. Ricky wasn't anywhere in sight. Where did he go? My whole body tensed, wondering what he was going to do.

I stepped into the bedroom and stood there, looking around. I finally walked across the room and opened the bedroom door, peering out into the dark hallway. I listened, but couldn't hear anything. Stepping out into the hallway, I walked down until I was in the living room. Ricky was in the kitchen, leaning against the counter with his head in his hands. I stood in the middle of the living room, staring at him.

"Why?" I asked him.

"Because I loved you."

"No, you didn't."

"Yes, I did. But now I know you're not the one."

"So you don't love me anymore?"

"No." His voice was filled with regret and anger. "I don't know. How can I love someone who doesn't love me back?"

"How can you expect me to love you when you did all of that horrible stuff? You killed all of those innocent girls."

His head snapped up and he glared at me. "Don't talk about them. They faked their love. I had no choice."

"Yes, you did," I replied calmly. "Why didn't you kill me when I told you I didn't love you?" I need to know why. I desperately needed to know.

"I wanted to."

My blood ran cold. "You did?" I whispered.

"I want to."

"What?" My voice became frantic. He wants to? "So you say you love me, and then say you want to kill me?"

"You're not the one, Sophie," he said, turning away from me. He reached onto of the fridge and pulled a knife off of it. I gasped and took a step back, watching him take the cover off. He looked at me. His face was streaked with tears. I knew he didn't want to, it was obvious enough. But something told me he felt like he had to.

"You don't want to do this," I said, stepping away from him.

"Yes I do." His voice was no longer filled with sadness. Instead it was replaced with hatred and guilt. "You've made it clear that you are not the one."

He stepped closer to me and held the knife at his side. He stared at me, then started closing the distance. I ran around the couch, trying to get away from him. He watched me run down the hall, following slowly behind me. I turned into one of the first rooms I saw, opening the door and shutting it behind me. I locked the door and turned around. The room was full of boxes, stacked up to the ceiling. I jumped when I heard the knob shake, then the sound of the knife piercing the wood. He was stabbing the door.

I began looking through the boxes, pulling them down and searching for a weapon. Most of them were full of clothes, all different sizes. And all for girls. I ignored it and kept searching. I eventually got to a box that was heavier than all of the others; it was in the corner of the room, away from all of the others. I opened it and gazed inside, gasping.

There was a photo album labeled Sophie. I carefully picked it up and opened it. Inside were pictures of me, taken without my knowing. Some were of me and my friends, and others were just of me. There was one that caught my eye immediately, shocking me. It was a picture of me outside of the movie theater, laughing with my old friends.