Chapter 23- Sophie

Chapter 23

Sophie:

I woke in darkness, gazing up at an unfamiliar ceiling. I was in a strange bed, covered by a soft blanket. I looked around at the wooden walls and floors. I was in a bedroom, but who's? I looked to my left and gasped. Ricky was asleep next to me, snoring softly. I remembered the diner, what he did... And Emily. Was she okay? She risked her life for me, and I just left her there, bleeding helplessly on the cold floor.

I remembered calling the police, and telling them where I might be if I wasn't at the diner. Was I even at Blanca Peak? Or did Ricky take me somewhere else? I prayed to God he didn't.

Slowly, I removed the blanket from me and stepped out of the bed. He stirred, and I held my breath. He didn't wake up, to my relief. I tiptoed to the door and opened it, holding my breath when it squeaked. He still didn't wake up, so I slipped out of the room and into a hallway. I closed the door and walked quickly into a living room. The couch was a deep green cover, and the rugs were  a deep brown color. The walls and floors were all wooden, even when I walked into the kitchen.

I searched the drawers, but couldn't find anything I could use as a weapon. My stomach growled loudly, and I remembered I hadn't eaten anything except a few mozzarella sticks at the diner. I tried to ignore it and continued to search for something I could use as a weapon.

"Sophie, what are you doing?"

I jumped and turned, pressing my back into the counter, edging away from him.

"Get away from me," I said, going around a table and putting a bigger distance in between us. He stepped closer until he was next to the table, then he placed his palms on the surface, leaning closer to me.

"Why did you do that to me, Sophie? I thought you were beginning to learn that this is the way it's going to be," he said in a hurt voice. His eyes were cold and harsh, and his voice matched it. "Now come back to bed."

"No," I said, shaking my head.

"Sophie," he said, softening his voice. He tried to put on a smile, but I knew it was forced. "It's our first night together. We need to celebrate."

"No!" I shouted at him. He was not doing this to me again. I couldn't let him. "I'm not letting you do that to me again!"

With lightning speed, he came around the table and grabbed me by the neck. I coughed and placed my hands on his wrist, trying to get him away from me. But he wouldn't loosen his grasp on me. He dragged me back down the hallway and into the room. I kicked and screamed, but he didn't let go. He threw me on the bed and closed the door, locking it behind him.

"No, please, don't do this again," I begged, scrambling off the bed. "I thought you loved me!"

He froze, but then shook his head. "And I thought you loved me."

I was taken by surprise. This was the first time he believed that I didn't love him. It looks like my little act wouldn't work anymore. He got closer and closer to me, and I felt like giving up. But I knew this couldn't happen to me again.

"I love you, just please don't do this," I begged, sliding down into the corner of the room.

"No, you don't. But you will." He smacked me, and my cheek stung in pain. He grabbed my wrist and pulled me up, dragging me back over to the bed. Memories of the beach house played through my mind over and over, and I began to cry. I wanted Justin, I wanted Naomi and Kodiak, I wanted my mom and Darius. I didn't want him. I didn't want to be here.

He put me on the bed again, but I kept fighting back. He slapped me again, harder this time. I stopped struggling, finally giving up. I knew I wouldn't win; he was stronger than me.

I cried myself to sleep that night, knowing I would never forget this anytime soon.