Chapter 15- Sophie

Chapter 15

Sophie:

I finished packing the last of my things in my suitcase and zipped it closed. Naomi and Kodiak were lying on my bed, watching me. My mom came into the room and stared at me.

"Do you really have to leave, Sophie?" she asked as I hauled my suitcase up. It's been a week since I got back from London. My head hardly throbbed anymore, but my mom still had me taking the pills for it. I could see why, though. She worries like every mom should worry.

"Yeah, I missed almost two weeks of class and work. I need to get back, mom."

"Well, okay. I told Darius he should drive you. He got your car from the airport and brought it over to your apartment already, so he's going to drive you home."

"Okay, mom. Thanks. Kodiak, Naomi, come." Kodiak and Naomi got up and jumped off of the bed. They came to stand beside me while I gave my mom a hug. "Thank you for everything, mom. And I promise I'll pay you back for the money you gave me as soon as I can."

"Nonsense, Sophie. You don't have to pay me back for anything."

"But-"

"Sophie."

I sighed and hugged her again. "Okay, fine. Thank you."

"Of course, Sophie," she said. I could see her eyes start to water, but I knew she didn't want to cry.

"Okay, ready when you are, Sophie!" Darius called from downstairs. My mom took my suitcase and carried it down the stairs for me. I took both of Kodiak and Naomi's leashes and followed her.

I watched as Darius lifted my suitcase up and put it in the trunk. He shut the door closed and went around to the driver's side. I climbed in the back with Naomi and Kodiak, in the middle once again.

"Darius, do you think we could stop by somewhere before we go to my apartment?" I asked as he started the car.

"Sure, where to?"

"There's a little coffee shop a few blocks down from where I live. My friend Scott owns it and he was worried about me. Can we?"

"Of course, Sophie. I've heard about Scoot from your mother. I'd like to meet him," he said, smiling at me in the rearview mirror.

An hour later we were pulling into the parking lot to the coffee shop. I grabbed Naomi and Kodiak's leashes and got out of the car with them. Darius locked the doors and opened the door for me. I walked in to see Hannah talking with a customer at the front counter. The customer walked away and she saw me.

"Sophie! I haven't seen you in forever! How are you?"

I smiled back at her. "I'm doing okay. Is Scott here?"

"Yeah, let me go get him. Who's the other dog?" She said, looking at Kodiak.

"Oh, I got him while I was in London. His name is Kodiak."

"That's a cute name. He's beautiful."

"Thanks." I smiled again.

She nodded and disappeared behind the kitchen door. A few minutes later Scott came out with Hannah trailing behind him. He quickly came around the counter and hugged me. I hugged him back, breathing in the strong scent of coffee.

"How was London?" he asked, pulling back from me. He caught sight of Kodiak and gave me the same questioning look that Hannah did.

"I got him in London Naomi needed a friend," I explained. He nodded and pet Kodiak, who returned the gesture with a lick to his hand. Darius came up behind me and held his hand out.