Chapter 19- Sophie

Chapter 19

Sophie:

I bolted upright when I heard a loud bark ringing through my ears. My side throbbed painfully, causing me to gasp sharply. I held my hand on my stomach and gazed around the room, taking in full view of what was happening. Kodiak was standing at the foot of my bed, growling and baring his teeth at Ricky, who held a rope between his hands. Naomi was growling as well, but stayed on my legs protectively. When Ricky saw I was awake, he sighed in frustration.

Blinking sleep out of my eyes, I glared at him. "What are you doing?" I asked, beginning to tremble. Suddenly I was afraid all over again. I didn't feel as brave as I did the night before. The look on Ricky's face was frantic, and I saw desperation in his eyes.

"It's time to go, Sophie," he said, edging toward Kodiak. "We need to leave. And they aren't coming with us."

"Don't hurt them," I whispered, trying to get up on my knees. I wrapped my arm around Kodiak and rested my other hand on Naomi's back. The growling got softer, but they were still in their protective state.

"Of course I'm not going to hurt them, Sophie," he said, lowering the rope a bit. Then he added, "Well, not much." Then he lunged towards Kodiak, surprising both of us. He wrapped the rope around Kodiak's neck and pulled, dragging him off of the bed. I screamed, reaching for him. Naomi was on all fours now, jumping off the bed. I watched in horror as Ricky pulled Kodiak over to my bathroom and shove him in. Kodiak was yelping, then began to choke, knowing the rope was too tight around his neck. Naomi went after Ricky, but he grabbed her and threw her on top of Kodiak.

I scrambled off of the bed and ignored the agonizing pain in my side. Getting a running start, I jumped on top of Ricky, causing him to stumble. He quickly realized it was me and threw me off. The wind was knocked out of me as I hit the ground hard. I was pulled back up and he threw me over his shoulder. I kicked and screamed, but he didn't let go. Barking and scratching came from the other side of the bathroom door.

"I can't wait any longer. It's time to go, Sophie," he said, walking towards the door.

"No, let me go!" I screamed, trying to escape from his gasp. He held onto me tighter going down the stairs. I was suddenly on the couch, gasping in pain. When I looked back up he was nowhere in sight. I took the chance and scrambled off of the couch, tripping over one of the legs to the coffee table in the process. I fell, hitting the carpet, but quickly recovered. I ran to the bottom of the stairs, but felt agonizing pain as I was pulled back by my hair.

Falling backwards, I hit a hard-rock chest. When I looked up, I saw Ricky smirking down at me.

"Don't even think about it," he said. I twisted in his grasp, digging my nails into his wrist and drawing blood. He just laughed wildly and pulled me closer to him. He acted like I was a piece of paper, holding my tightly against him. No matter how much I struggled, he just held onto me as if I was nothing. "I love it when you struggle, Sophie."

I tensed and stopped struggling. He'd never said something like that to me before. I felt the tears at the edges of my eyes. "Just let me go," I begged. "Please, you're hurting me."

He tensed up for a second, then all of a sudden he let go and I was on the floor. He knelt down and put his arms underneath my legs, and one arm around my waist. He picked me up from the floor and set me on the couch. When I looked up at him again, his eyes were sad, and I could see a tear fall down his cheek.

"I'm sorry, Sophie. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Forcing myself, I slowly picked up my hand and placed it on his cheek. He widened his eyes a bit, almost surprised. When his eyes softened, he placed his hand gently on my cheek and I fought the urge to pull away. The faint barks and yelps of Naomi and Kodiak came from upstairs. He leaned in, but I pulled away, not looking at him. There was no way I could kiss him after what he just did. Calm him down, yes. Kiss him? No.