Chapter 14- Ricky

Chapter 14

Ricky:

"Sophie..." I whispered as I walked into the hospital. The cold air hit my face, making my eyes water. My head was still throbbing from a few nights before. I learned to ignore it, though. Searching for Sophie had kept me on my feet. I've searched every hospital in London, and this was the last hospital she could've gone to. I saw her being carried away in an ambulance. Her head was bleeding heavily, and the paramedics were working fast to try and get it to stop. I just hoped she was okay... Or I would never forgive myself.

I walked out of the elevator and saw a middle-aged doctor talking to a nurse, scribbling something on a clipboard. He had silver hair and a salt-and-pepper stubble on his chin. The nurse nodded and walked away, leaving him alone. When I walked up to him, he looked up.

"Hello, sir. May I help you?"

"Yeah, is there a Sophie Anderson here by any chance," I said, trying to blink away the painful throbbing in my head.

"Ms. Anderson? Oh, no, not anymore. She left yesterday."

Damn. Well, at least I had some sort of lead. I knew she'd been in the hospital for a few days... because of me. "Do you know where she went?"

"Yes, she was sent back to America," he told me, eying me suspiciously. "Are you a friend of hers?"

I tried to smile. "Yes, I am. I heard she was in the hospital and came to visit her, but since she's back in America, I guess I'm too late."

"I'm sorry that you missed her, but I have to go to surgery on the tenth floor. If you have any more questions, Linda will answer them for you," he said, gesturing to a nurse behind the desk. She looked up and smiled at me.  

"No, that's all I needed to know. Thank you," I said.

"You're welcome. Goodbye." He walked to the elevator and got in, looking at his clipboard again.

So she went back to America, did she? I would go and get her and tell her I was sorry. I never meant to hurt her. It was my fault she'd been in the hospital, and I had a feeling she would never forgive me. But at least I was going to try.

~

I pulled up to her apartment complex and paid the cab driver. Getting out, my head began to throb again. "Thanks," I mumbled to the cab driver.

"Sure thing, buddy," he said with a thick Italian accent. I backed up as he drove off down the street. Turning around, I walked into the courtyard in the middle of her apartment complex. It was quiet, except for the sound of the fountain in the middle of the courtyard. I walked up the stairs to her apartment and knocked on the door softly.

I waited, but there was no answer. I knocked a second time, but still no answer. I placed my hand on the knob and turned it. It was locked. I got the key out of my back pocket and placed it in the lock, then turned it and unlocked it. I pushed the door open and walked inside.

It was quiet and cold in her apartment. I walked upstairs and found it all empty. The bed was cold, and her clothes weren't back. Had the doctor lied to me? Was she still back in London? Even if she was, I would wait for her. She had to come back sometime, and I would be when she got back.

But first I needed a shower. I smelled musty and had dried blood in my hair. I walked over to her bathroom and turned on the shower. I used her shampoo and body wash, both smelling like rosemary mint. I loved that smell, and now I smelled like her.

I got out and wrapped a towel around my bottom half, then picked up my clothes, looking for a washer downstairs. When I found it, I threw my clothes in and turned it on. I would be perfect for Sophie when she got home.

And she would be perfect for me.