Chapter 2- Sophie

Chapter 2

Sophie:

I woke up to the annoying sound of my phone ringing by my head. I picked up my head and yawned. My neck and back were sore from falling asleep at my desk. I guess even coffee can't keep me awake for that long.

The bright sunshine was shining through my windows, lighting up my whole room. Naomi was still asleep on the foot of my bed, snoring silently.

I shuffled for my phone through all of my notes and finally found it. I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was my mom. Why was my mom calling me this early in the morning? I glanced at the clock and saw it was eight. Well, at least I don't have classes for another three hours.

I answered the phone and put it to my ear, trying to blink the sleep out of my eyes.

"Hello?" I mumbled tiredly. I started to organize the notes I slept on last night, putting them back in my bookbag.

"Good morning, Sophie! Long time no talk," she said cheerfully. Who the hell could be this damn cheerful in the morning? Oh, wait, my mom.

"Hey mom," I said, yawning. "Is there a reason you're calling me this early in the morning?"

"I have good news, Sophie," she said. I could hear her smiling through the phone. She must have some really good news.

"And what would that be?" I asked, finally getting all of my books back into my bag.

"I'm pregnant, Sophie!" she said happily.

I almost dropped the phone. Even Naomi must've heard her because she picked her head up and pricked her ears. "What?" I said.

"Yeah, I said the same thing. But I'm so happy, Sophie!" she exclaimed. When I didn't answer, her voice faltered a bit. "What's wrong, Sophie? Aren't you happy for me?"

"Well, of course, I'm happy for you, mom!" I said, becoming ecstatic. "Congratulations!"

"Thank you, honey. Darius is really happy, too. The look on his face was completely priceless when I told him. I wish you could've seen it," she said, her voice returning to normal.

"Tell him I said congratulations, okay?" I said, smiling. I looked over to Naomi who was wagging her tail. "Keep me updated on everything, okay?"

"Of course I will, Sophie! You're going to have a sibling!"

I got up and walked over to the bathroom, looking in the mirror. I didn't need a shower, seeing as how my hair was still wet from the night before. I grabbed my brush and started working through my hair, getting all the knots out and making it smooth.

"Thanks, mom. I'm so excited for you," I told her, trying to get a stubborn knot out.

"Thank you, Sophie. But I have to go now and call some other people. I'll call you later, okay?"

"Alright, mom, I'll talk to you later."

"Bye! I love you!"

"Bye, mom. I love you, too."

I hung up the phone and stared at myself in the mirror. I'm going to have a sibling. I was getting happier and happier every second. After nineteen long years of being an only child, I'm finally going to get to have a sibling. I ran out of the bathroom and tackled Naomi on the bed.

"Mom's pregnant, Naomi!" I exclaimed.

Naomi barked happily, play-fighting with me. She licked my face all over and wagged her tail with delight. I laughed and hugged her neck, then got up and went over to my closet. Stripping out of my clothes, I found my favorite pair of jeans and a white tank top with my denim jacket. I put them all on, along with my flip flops, and grabbed Naomi's leash.