Chapter 21- Sophie

Chapter 21

Sophie:

I can't believe I actually kissed him. Why the hell would I do that? Even if I did try and fake it, why did I have to kiss him? That was the last thing in the world that I would want to do. But even so, why did he hesitate? I hoped he believed my performance or everything would go wrong.

I threw water on my face once more and looked in the shiny mirror. I was still in my tank top and flannel pants, but I was wrapped in Ricky's brown leather jacket. It smelled minty and almost nice. But it still smelled like him. I took it off and threw it on the other side of the bathroom. I needed to get away. Call for help or something.

Sneaking out of the bathroom, I slid along the wall. The bathroom was across from one of the entrances to the kitchen. I tiptoed across the tile floor and gently pushed the door open, peering into an empty kitchen. I slipped inside and let the door swing shut.

I slid down to the floor, bringing my knees up to my chest. I put my head in my hands but didn't cry. I jumped when I heard the door swing open. I looked up and saw the young waitress come in through the other door to the kitchen. Emily, I think her name was. She saw me and her happy face was immediately filled with concern.

"Are you okay?" she asked me, coming closer. I shushed her and grabbed her wrist, pulling her down. She kneeled next to me, confused. "What's wrong?"

"I've been kidnapped. I need a phone, please. Hurry, I don't have much time left," I told her, beginning to panic. I've been gone for more than five minutes now. Surely he was going to become suspicious. I saw Emily nod and pull out a cell phone from her pocket. She handed it to me and turned her head to look behind her, then looked at me again.

"That guy you were with. He kidnapped you?" she asked, looking worried. I nodded, dialing 911. She stared at me, then nodded understandingly. "Don't worry, I'll help you. Just stay here," she whispered, getting back up. The phone rang a few times, and I waited anxiously.

"Thank you," I whispered.

"No problem," she said. She shook her head and put on her happy face again. It looked pretty real, but I knew she was faking. She nodded at me and walked out of the kitchen. I sighed in relief when I heard a voice on the other side of the phone.

"911, what's your emergency?"

"Yes, hello, my name is Sophia Anderson. I've been kidnapped and I need help," I whispered urgently into the phone.

"What's your location?" the man said.

"I'm at a diner in-"

I jumped and whipped my head when there was a loud crash of plates from over the kitchen counter. Voices came after that; a bunch of yelling and concerned voices. I was beginning to panic. What if Ricky saw me talking on the phone?

"Are you okay? Do you need an ambulance?" the man asked.

"I don't know, maybe. Just please hurry! I'm in a diner in Colorado. I don't know my exact location, just please hurry!"

"Okay, we're dispatching officers to your location. Please stay on the line," he said.

"Okay, thank you."

"Sophie?"

I froze when I heard Ricky's voice on the other side of the door. He knocked on the bathroom door, calling my name multiple times. I quickly got up and ran behind one of the silver storage for cans.

"Hurry, please," I whispered into the phone, sliding down to the cold tile. I heard the kitchen door swing open, followed by the footsteps of boots. I tensed, not daring to turn around and look at who it was, even though I could guess it was Ricky. His footsteps came closer and closer. I closed my eyes, hoping he wouldn't find me. Suddenly the other kitchen door swung open, followed by quieter footsteps.