Chapter 17- Ricky

Chapter 17

Ricky:

Quietly turning the knob, I pushed the door open, peeking into her room. She was asleep on her bed, breathing quietly. I watched her chest rise and fall to the rhythm of her breathing. Stepping into the room, I quietly walked over to her. She looked so beautiful, even as she slept.

I jumped when I heard a low growl from the foot of the bed. One of the dogs by her feet was watching me cautiously, slightly showing their teeth. I glared at it, and then returned my gaze to Sophie.

My fingers brushed her forehead and traced it down to her chin. Her skin was flawless, and it was all mine. My fingers softly combed her soft, light brown hair. I held my breath when she stirred, turning over to her side with her back facing me. I brushed the hair from her shoulder off, letting it fall behind her back. The dog growled at me again, but I ignored it.

I stepped away from her when she made a soft moan, and then turned around, blinking sleep out of her eyes. When she saw it was me, all of the sleep left her eyes and she scooted away.

"What do you want?" she demanded, hugging her stomach with one arm.

"I was just checking on you," I said, sitting on the side of the bed. She yawned and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Great, you've checked on me. Now leave."

"No," I replied.

"Yes, now get out."

I grabbed her wrist and pulled her harshly to me, making her face hit my chest hard. I heard her gasp sharply in pain, and her arm was at her side again. "No, I won't get out."

The dogs were up and growling at me. Their hackles were raised and their teeth were showing. Sophie was pushing against my chest, trying to get away. I held her wrist tightly, knowing it would leave a bruise.

"I'm sorry, please let go," she begged as she stopped pushing.

I bent down and kissed her forehead. She flinched but stayed where she was. "Good girl." I released my grip on her arm, letting her back up to the headboard. She rubbed her wrist, holding it to her chest. I instantly regretted what I did. I moved closer to her, but she scooted away.

Sighing, I got up and walked towards the door. "I'm sorry," I whispered, walking out the door. I closed it behind me- remembering to lock it- then walked downstairs into the living room. It was quiet and cold, despite the scorching heat outside. I carefully sat on the beige sofa and turn on the TV.  

I sat there for a few hours, blankly staring at the television screen, deep in thought. I knew how I was going to get Sophie to Colorado next week, but I also knew she wasn't going to go willingly. She'll soon understand that there isn't a way out of this. She would be with me in the cabin, and this time, I would make sure it was forever.