Chapter 20- Ricky

Chapter 20

Ricky:

She was asleep, snoring quietly. I forced myself to keep my hands on the steering wheel, remembering how I promised not to touch her. The sun was already high in the sky, and the roads were busier than they were a few hours ago. We were about ten hours away from Blanca Peak, the mountain that the cabin was on.

I felt my eyes start to droop, remembering I hadn't slept in over thirty-six hours. Maybe I could pull over in a few hours when we were deep in the mountains and rest. Reaching over, I grabbed the bag or snacks Sophie had gotten a few hours ago at the gas station. I pulled out a soda and drank it, hoping it would keep me awake enough to keep driving. I was afraid that if I fell asleep, Sophie would wake up and leave. That's why we needed to be deep in the mountains- isolated from everyone else.

I tensed when I heard her mumble something and shift her body to face me, hoping she didn't wake up. She was beautiful as she slept. I would never get over it. Thinking about the cabin, I got excited, wondering what our future would be like. Would she ever try to run again? Would she grow used to me and our new life together? I hoped she would just learn to live with the fact I can't live without her. She was... my everything. She was mine.

"No..." she whispered in her sleep.

I looked over at her, wondering what she was dreaming about.

"No," she said louder and firmer. "No!"

She began squirming in her seat slightly, shaking her head. I noticed the beads of sweat forming on her forehead, and she was clenching her eyes together tightly. A tear escaped from the corner of her eye.

Panicking, I pulled the car over on the side of the highway and shook her awake. "Sophie! Sophie wake up. It's okay."

She opened her eyes and screamed, scooting away from me. Her eyes were filled with fear, and the tears were rolling down her cheeks. She was panting hard as if she had just run a long way. Her clothes were all wrinkled from moving in her sleep.

"It wasn't a dream..." she whispered, widening her eyes. I gazed at her, confused. Then I knew what she was talking about. Closing my eyes, I sighed and turned the car back on.

"No, Sophie. This is real," I said blankly.

She sniffled and turned away from me once more, but she never went back to sleep. I was fully awake now and didn't have to worry about sleep- which was good. I needed to keep an eye on Sophie from now on. I wouldn't put it past her to try and run away, even if we were in the middle of nowhere.

~

"How much longer?" I heard her ask me six hours later. She stayed awake the whole time, and I knew she was determined not to fall asleep again. The sun was beginning to go down again, and it was getting chilly.

"We'll be in Colorado in a few minutes," I replied. "But then it's a few more hours until we get to the cabin."

"I'm hungry," I heard her whisper, her voice cracking a bit. "Can we eat?"

I thought for a minute, wondering if she was going to try and get away again. "No."

"Why not?" I heard the anger and impatience in her voice. "I thought you'd at least care about me enough to feed me. I guess I was wrong."

My heart dropped to my stomach, and I felt a wave of guilt wash over me. She was right. I couldn't let her starve. I trust her.

"Fine," I said. "Where do you want to go?"

"Surprise me."

My heart skipped a beat. Her voice sounded almost excited. I smiled. "Okay."

Five minutes later I was pulling off the highway and onto an exit ramp. I turned into the parking lot for a small diner. Sophie was staring ahead the whole time, a desperate look in her eyes. I then realized she must've not had anything to eat for the past twenty-four hours. I felt bad for not realizing it sooner.