Chapter 22- Ricky

Chapter 22

Ricky:

I can't believe I trusted her! I'm such an idiot! She called the police, and I had to stab that stupid waitress.

I raced down the highway, weaving through the traffic. Cars honked and moved out of the way. There were sirens close behind me and getting closer. The sun was going down fast, and it was getting darker. I needed to get Sophie to the cabin. Without anyone knowing where she was.

I took a glance behind me, looking at Sophie's unconscious body in the backseat. She didn't look peaceful like all of the other times. She looked like she was having another nightmare. I turned back to the road and weaved past some slow cars. I spotted the exit that I had to get off of and turned onto the ramp. The sirens were beginning to fade. I sighed in relief, then slowed the car down. In the distance, I could see the outline of Blanca Peak. The moon was rising, and I could no longer see the sun.

After another hour of driving, I got further and further away from civilization. I turned down a dirt road and began going up the mountain. I passed no other car as I took turn after turn, swerving up the mountain. I caught sight of the hidden gravel road on the side of the mountain that led to the cabin. I turned sharply and slowed the car, going along the gravel path.

A few minutes later, I drove up to the cabin that was waiting for us. It was near one of the cliffs on the side of the mountain. It was completely made out of wood, despite the furniture inside. I parked the car and then carried Sophie out of the backseat to the front door. I struggled to get the door unlocked, but once I got inside, I took Sophie to our room.

I set her down gently, then pulled the blanket over her body. Sleep was finally catching up to me, so I pulled off my shirt, kicked off my shoes, and settled down on the other side next to her. She wouldn't wake up for a while, considering I drugged her. I turned her to face me so I could stare at her, stroking her cheek. I kissed her, then whispered goodnight into her ear. She stirred but didn't wake up. Soon I fell into a deep sleep, just like her.