19

Let the truth be told

3 Weeks later

I woke up, my feet freezing cold. I opened my eyes and looked up at the ceiling. The sun was trying to come out from behind the dark grey gloomy clouds. The trees' leaf's rustled as the wind blew them. I sat up and looked to my side. Justin wasn't in bed so I got up.

I left the room and called out his name, "Justin?"

There was no reply so I walked downstairs. After looking in the kitchen and not finding him I walked back towards the stairs. On my way I passed by the front door and noticed that it was unlocked.

Assuming that Justin was outside, I opened the door and instantly felt the ice cold wind, similar to when you open the door to the freezer. I stepped out into the cold concrete and looked around. Justin stood in sweats, slippers, and a black hoodie. His arms were crossed over his chest as he puffed out a large cloud of smoke.

I closed my eyes and once again wished that he would stop smoking. He removed the cigeratte from his lips and looked down before kicking around a rock. He brought the cigeratte back to his lips, the end lighting up a soft orangy red as he took a puff.

When he exhaled the smoke, the wind blew towards me, making the smoke hit me. I coughed loud, dragging Justin's attention to me.

"Sorry," he said.

"It's okay," I said.

"What are you doing out here?"

"I ask you the same," I said.

"Well I'm clearly smoking," he said.

"I wondered where you were and then I saw the door unlocked so I came out here," I said.

"You should go back inside," he said.

"I'm fine," I said, "I want to spend some time with you before I have to go to work."

He blew out yet another cloud of smoke before chuckling, "Yeah, it's been a while since that's happened."

"I know. But it's just, work is hard, my hours have changed and I work more often now," I said.

"I know, that's why you should go back to bed and get some rest," he said.

I sighed and walked closer to him.

"Can you stop smoking?" I mumbled.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Nothing... Just the wind..."

My teeth started clattering from my shaking at how cold it was. My eyes teared up but I just pulled my sleeves over my hands and fingers.

"You want a smoke? It'll warm you up," he offered.

"No thanks," I said.

"At least come here," he said.

"Put out your cigeratte first," I said.

He threw the cigarette on the floor next to the other thirty cigarettes from the past mornings and evenings when he decided to come out side and smoke one, sometimes two or even three.