Inside The Mind of Daemon

"Why did you pick her as your new maid?" She said in disgust.

"I wanted a new one."

"But why her?" My mother's voice stretches with annoyance. "She's young and actually pretty. I saw the way you looked at her, you know the rules."

"Damn woman I haven't even talked to the girl yet! And you already assume I want her? She's a mortal, you give her way too much credit."

"We'll you weren't exactly abstinent with your last maid."

"How would you know that?" I smirk, leaning back in my chair. Veronica was a good maid, always going beyond the call of duty. But that was none of my mother's business.

We sat in the dinning room, alone. As much as I hated being alone with my own mother for even a moment, I had no choice. She practically locked me in here with her. Her flowery scent numbed my senses so I didn't even see her coming. The room was filled with scent and I knew it would remain imprinted into the fabric of my clothes. The last thing I wanted was to walk around smelling like a garden.

"So you know the eastern clan representatives are coming in 5 days time..." She starts the conversation casually.

It's not that I hated my mother, I just hated her point of view on things. I hated the fact that she hated mortals. Despite how helpful and loyal they've always been to this family, she didn't trust them with anything and was still shaky about me having a personal maid in the first place. I honestly don't see what she's afraid of, no mortal could possibly bring any harm to us.

"I've already agreed to meet the clan ruler, but I'm not promising anything with marriage." I really couldn't picture myself living an eternity with a Royal. Honestly sometimes I envied the mortals.

"Your love for mortals is entirely my fault," my mother sighs. I groan and stand to leave.

"Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go greet my new servant. Hopefully we won't be needing another gathering until dinner." I hastily try to escape but she calls me back.

"Oh by the way dear, why don't you bring it with you to dinner. To get acquainted with the family," she suggested. I note the use of the word it and chose to ignore it. I nod in response, and swiftly turn to leave.

*****

I walk to my bedroom door, and stopped before opening it. Is she in there? She really should have waited out here for me. Maybe I should knock...but it's my room.

"How did you get in here?" I hear a female voice say.

There was a pause of silence, then she spoke again.

"Why is it when the last time we saw each other you disappeared as soon as the Royals came?"

I think it's my servant, but who was she talking too? There was another quiet pause then she spoke again.

"Why are you so mysterious?" Her voice is shrill and desperate, and so close to being driven off an edge.

"I'm sorry," She sighs."I'm sorry. All you've been is kind and sweet, and...I'm sorry."

There was yet another quiet pause and by now I'm pretty sure she's talking to herself. But then I hear the bed springs cry from pressure, as if someone pounced on it.

"Seth!" She whisper loudly. Who the hell is Seth? "Get off the bed! What if Daemon walks in?"

I desperately wanted to peak in to see who the hell she was speaking to in my room, but I didn't wanna risk making a sound.

"I'm his new personal maid," she says as if answering a question.

"I don't know he-" A squeal breaks her sentence and I hear another thump on my bed.

"Stop it Seth!" I hear her struggle and my temptation to barge in grows. But it begins to wither when I hear her giggle, the first time I've ever heard a mortal make a sound like that.

"What freedom?" She sighs. I hear more struggling and then she says, "all is fair in love and war."

Then it's quiet, completely quiet.

That's it, the suspense has by far slaughtered me and I've had about enough.

Suddenly there was a loud thud, followed by her screaming. I burst in, only to find her completely alone and my bed a shriveled mess.