New Maid

I didn't go.

I couldn't take the risk, as horrible as this world is, I still wanted to stay alive in it. The thought of him putting his hands, or worse his teeth on me had me swimming in my own pool of fear. The horrible feeling of regret kept me tossing and turning all night long, which isn't much help to the other servants seeing we sleep in bunk beds.

By the time it was time to get back to work my eyes had way to many bags under it to carry. I was dazed, too dazed to swallow the breakfast they provided for us, and definitely too dazed to avoid Seth.

All mourning long he followed me around like I was a lit flame and he was a moth. So far today I've spent most of my labor on my hands and knees, mopping away the dirt and leaving the hard marble floors reflecting with cleanses. Out of all of the chores written on my arm-literally imprinted on my arm-this one had to be the easiest.

"Seth, why aren't you working?" I finally ask, annoyed of him lazily watching me all day.

"You shouldn't worry so much about me, worry about yourself," he replies simply.

"I swear your going to get me killed," I mumble.

"Hey do you know how many Royals actually live here?" He questioned out of the blue.

"No, why?"

"Next time you're around them, count." he said. It was more like he was ordering me than asking me a favor. I look up from my task arching my brow at him. "Please?"

"You're so strange Seth," I conclude, returning to my job. I hear him sigh of what I think is relief, and return to my tactic of just ignoring him.

"So you never told me how long you've been here," he starts a conversation, and I sigh aggravated.

"Let me explain something to you Seth. We don't talk to one another, we don't smile, and we always do our work. That's how you survive in this world. Understand?"I speak slowly like I'm talking to a child. He's quiet, no...silent. I chuckle at his speechlessness, my eyes not leaving the floor. "Why so quiet, Seth? Have I finally gotten through to you?" I look up, to find myself alone. "Seth?" I call confused.

All of a sudden two Royals burst through the two double doors on the far side of the room. My head shoots down immediately and my eyes glue themselves to the floor.

"Your being nothing less than a selfish asshole Daemon!" I hear a female Royal yell. Of all people to come crashing in when I'm absolutely alone. I peak up from my lashes and sure enough it is him. He stood with a woman with blonde hair who I've seen once or twice around the mansion. I think she's his mother. "How do you expect to inherit all this if you're not mature enough to know that you have to give a little sacrifice?"

"A little sacrifice? This is my life! How is that a little? You can't make me and I refuse to hear another damn-" he stops mid-sentence. I could feel his heavy gaze beating down on my shoulder blades, the weight of his gaze making it hard to ignore.

"Fine."

"What?" The Royal woman exclaims.

"I'll do it. I'll at least meet them. On one condition..."

"Anything!"

"I want a new personal maid."

"That's it? Of course you can have a new maid! Your current one was getting old anyway. We'll go to the trade market and pick a new one out right away."

"I want her," he says. I look up only to find him pointing straight at me.

***

A/N