Chapter 25

"So how are you, Arvada?" Mrs Knowles asks me the following morning. I had the morning off from school to have my five month check-up.

"I'm well. The scar is healing well and I have no abdominal pain," I reply.

"That's good. Would you mind lifting up your shirt and lying back on that bed for me?" As I do as she asks, I look at Scott who is sitting in the parent's chair. He looks away when I lift up my top. Not because he's giving me privacy, but because I know that there's a silky, pink reminder of my 16th birthday on my stomach.

Mrs Knowles begins to gently push on and around my scar. "Tell me if it hurts anywhere," She says. When I don't speak up and she's done prodding me, she checks my breathing and my joints to see if everything is working.

"How am I?" I ask.

"Well, your physical seems to be fine. Now it's time to check your mental. Would you like your brother to stay?"

"Yes. Scott, please stay," I plead. He nods but I can see it's hard for him.

"Okay, Arvada. On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate your recovery from you're parent's death. Ten being horrific and one being fine."

"Nine," I say.

"Why's that?" She begins to write notes on my record.

"It's hard not having them around as any form of loss would be. I have scars all over my body as a reminder of that day. I'm sixteen and lost both my parents in a horrific accident that was not an accident. Someone succeeded in murdering them and no ones seems to be doing anything about it. So in conclusion, I feel lonely and helpless but I do have my brothers and friends. That's the only reason it's a nine and not a ten."

"So you feel unsatisfied?" Mrs Knowles asks me, calmly.

"Well... Yes. No one is looking for the murderer. I don't think police even think it's a murder but rather just another accident."

"Arva-," Scott begins.

"You do know your parents died immediately?" She interrupts. I nod. "And you think it's a murder."

I think about all my dreams.

"I know it's a murder," I say, confident.

"How are your dreams?" She asks, venturing off topic. I almost roll my eyes. Someone else doesn't think it's important that my parents were murdered.

"Fine."

"Just fine? What do you dream about?" I hesitate, thinking about if I should tell her or not. If you don't tell her, she can't help you, Arva. I look at Scott and answer truthfully but not completely honestly.

"I dream about Australia a lot. I dream about people from London in Australia."

"Really? Like who?" I don't answer. Mrs Knowles sighs and turns to pick up A4 sized cards. "Please tell me if you recognise these people." Firstly, she holds up a picture of Zara.

"That's Zara Pines. She was my best friend is Australia."

"Good. And this person?"

"That's Logan. He's a good friend of mine over here."

"Good and this person?"

"She's Netta. Josh liked... She is from Australia."

"Okay and this person?"

"That's Josh," I say, afraid if I say too much, Scott might realise I like him.

"Can you tell me where you met Josh?'