Chapter 18

It was the day of our first game. To say I was nervous is the biggest understatement of the century.

My thoughts were on nothing but soccer - even the Josh dilemma was forgotten.

Coach blew his whistle and I stepped forward, kicking the ball at the same time Logan did so the ball didn't move. We repeated this thirty more times, changing legs each time, as our warm up. Then I practised shooting, to which Josh caught all but two.

When the other team finally turned up, I was on the verge of fainting, I was that nervous. They had warmed up in an oval a block away already so the game could get started straight away.

As soon as they arrived on the field, they began to size up their competition. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't hiding behind Bale. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't peeking over his shoulder as if I was in a horror movie but rather tossing a ball between my fingers, attempting to stay calm.

Coach called us in and gave us a pep talk before the whistle blew and we were off into our places. Sadly, I was still a Bench Warmer so; I was on the bench. However, I was at the top of the Bench Warmers meaning if anything happened to anyone on the field, I was first preference to take their place. The referee flipped a coin, the opposite team - The Bears - won and chose their goal. Then Logan took his place as midfield, the whistle was blown and our first game began.

Logan was everywhere and I mean everywhere in a good way. He was all over the field, his player couldn't keep up with him. His feet skills were incredible as he manoeuvred the ball in all directions, making sure the ball was never touched by the Bears. Bale and Trey were great when it came to shooting, they rarely missed and the goalkeeper was rarely quick enough.

I wish I could also say something good about Josh but the truth is, the ball never even reached him. That was until Moorey got into a fight with his opponent and they were both sent off field. I stood up although my blood was pumping, I was breathing heavy and so nervous I was not feeling well. Coach stared at me for a bit. I knew it was important to him that we win this game. It was the first game of the season and the second most important. Coach nodded and I made my way onto the field and I could feel everyone staring.

I could feel everyone thinking, "A girl? Nah."

And then, they laughed.

The Bears laughed, the Bear's supporters laughed, even my own school laughed at me. And why wouldn't they? I was a girl. A girl was not supposed to play football.

Which is exactly why I have to.

Once again, I would be lying if I said it didn't take every ounce of me not to run off the field and cry into a bucket of fro-yo. But I walked up there, met my opponent, gave him a curt nod and searched for some form of reassurance. I saw it in Bale's face, Logan's smirking face, in Josh's face, and surprisingly, Trey's face. I exhaled heavily and ignored my partner chuckling beside me as I stood in a ready stance. The Bears around me were shaking their head in disbelief and I even heard someone say, "They're that bad they needed a cheerleader to come on the team so they have someone to blame when it all goes bad?" and the classic, "She can't play. She's a girl!" but I blocked it all out and focussed on one thing; the ball.

The referee blew the whistle and Logan took the ball from his opponent, straight away kicking it to me. I shot down the field, using everything I knew. I was so close to the goals when the ball was taken by a member of the Bears. He laughed in my face and Trey took the opportunity to take the ball off of him. I laughed in his face, rather unattractively must I add, and Trey and I took turns passing the ball to each other as the Bears had formed a good defensive line across the field. The opponents of the Bears finally made their way towards us and together, we passed them before Trey shot a goal. I gave him a five and made my way back to my starting position.