Chapter 12

I dress in a white mid-drift and a pretty floral skirt that is slightly too big for me. I bought it back in Australia as inspiration to lose weight. It fit perfectly before but now, with the amount of soccer practise, boxing and running I do, I have lost quite a bit of weight that I never knew was on me.

There's a bunch of things that have changed on me physically: I'm more toned in my legs and stomach. I'm also more fit.

I've gotten to know Josh and Logan a lot better. Especially Josh. Like his favourite colour is blue because of the ocean and his father is a boxer. 

"Y'know, school hasn't always been like this. I mean, of course you are here now but in the beginning, it was just Logan and I," Valarie says.

"Yeah?" 

"Yeah. We've been good friends since primary school and Riley came in first year of high school. Believe it or not, Josh only came last year for the very end of year ten.

"Cool," I say. There's really no use in me knowing this information so I just blow it off.

"Do you like this plant? I think it's called an orchid," Valarie says, looking at the tag.

"Ooh! An orchid. I love them, I'm going to get one," I say, picking the one up with the most purple.

"Y'know what, me too," Valarie picks up a plain white one. We get the orchids and a few other pieces for my room before we move onto another store.

"How many lights do you think I would need for my shelves? There are a lot," I say. "I don't think i'll do the roof, it'll require a lot of lights."

"Good idea. Do you like this cactus plant?"

"Yeah, put it in the basket."

"Hello, Ladies." We turn to the voice. 

"Fuck off, Moorey, we're not into your games," Valarie says as I turn back to the shelves, looking at some other plants.

"No worries, we an get straight to the point," He slaps my ass and I yelp, turning around to give him the most evil eye I could muster. He kept smirking at me. "All that football practise is really looking good on you. Maybe you should join... Valarie."

"Piss off, she doesn't need to change and even if she did, it wouldn't be for you," I say. Valarie looks slightly upset at his statement. 

I notice Moorey's friends behind him when they snicker at my response. There were about ten or so of them. If it came to it, I could never take down all of them. I began sizing them up, thinking of tactics. Who looks like they could do more damage than who, just the average thoughts of a girl in the spotlight.

Moorey turns back to us after looking at his friends for some sort of confirmation. 

"This wont be the last time I offer, Shawn. You better take it while it lasts."

"A boy your size can't do much," I say. He knew there was two meanings behind it. Moorey blew me an air kiss before he and his friends walk off.

"You OK, Val?" I ask her. 

"Yeah. Can I sleep over at yours tonight? I need to talk to someone."

"Sure," I reply, concerned.

We make our way to Val's car and pack it with everything we just bought. All the while, Val is calling Josh to come and pick me up. I feel so bad that I always have to get him to carry me around everywhere - like a baby but if he minds, he doesn't show it.

"OK, he's on his way. He was in his pyjamas so he has to change and he may be a while," Val says.

"That's cool. Do you want to go to my house and start unloading the car?" I offer her.