Imagine

You took a seat next to her best friend who was surprisingly burying her head in her arms. You patted her shoulder, shocked to see her face revealing tear streaked swollen eyes that longed to tell their story.
   "What's wrong?" You ask with as much hurt as your could muster. After all, practicing empathy is important in your relationship.
    "It's nothing you would care about," She mutters, throwing her hands up in the air.
    You press on. "I'm sure whatever you have to say will be important,"
     She then proceeds to tell you her awful day, starting from the "D" she received on the math exam all the way until her dramatic breakup with her boyfriend Colin. By the time her day was described in full detail, you couldn't help but feel sad for her.
   A long, awkward silence followed as you tried to think of ways to break the ice. Finally settling on a bible verse you think might help, you offer up the words. Instead of the happy, grateful reaction you expected, you received an annoyed frustrated one.
   "That sentence isn't going to undo what just happened to me. It's meaningless to this situation!" She cried desperately.
   Instantly, you are hurt and you feel hot tears build up in your eyes.  After all, she just pushed you away after some expert advice. But knowing that she was thinking about it right now eased your nerves and spite because one day she would remember it and come back to you thanking you. One day.