Do Not Fight Evil With Evil

The main idea of this next lesson is how to follow the bible's rules when someone is mistreating you. Tap the image above to see a verse and check the end of the chapter for more supporting verses that go along with the lesson.

When someone makes fun of your clothes or makes you feel bad when you receive a bad grade, your natural reaction is to say something mean back to boost your self confidence. But is that really the answer? It's not.

In order to not fight evil actions back, you need to remain calm and handle the situation with kind words. For example, if someone is making fun of your friend, you can easily tell them to stop rather than to lash out at them. Fighting evil with evil is not the same as defending yourself. No one expects you to take the bullying everyday without saying a word or listening to people spread rumors about you. There is a way to defend yourself without offending or saying anything mean to the bully.

An example in the bible could be one like this. Jesus was whipped and beaten for something that he was accused for. He never had done anything wrong, but he still took the blame for the situation. He could have easily said mean things or tried to fight back to Judas and the soldiers, but he remained calm and didn't lash out. Jesus is a perfect example to all of us to keep our natural reactions inside. It is like a volcano ready to erupt. You can choose to hold it back and remain still or respond respectfully, or you can let it go and insult them just like they did you. A couple of you are probably saying, "Well, if they are being mean, why can't you be mean back?" The answer is that it would bring you down to the same level of the person who hurt you. Now you are just as bad as them, even though you didn't start it.

In conclusion, fighting evil with evil is never the solution. There is always a different and smarter way to handle things.

Challenge- The next time someone hurts your feelings or does something to bother you, be the bigger person and handle the situation they way Jesus would.

Romans 12:21- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Peter 3:9- Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult. On the contrary, repay evil with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.