Sixteen

Tori looked straight ahead towards the road and counted to ten in her mind to calm her racing heart.

"Why are we taking a car when the school is only a fifteen minute walk from my home?" She asked looking at Logan, her heart doing somersaults in her chest again when she noticed how good he was looking. Tori mentally cursed herself and told herself to focus.

"Geez, Tori. Let me show off to you for once. I wanted to impress you with my vast car collection." Logan smiled cheekily.

"Really?" Tori asked, raising both her eyebrows.

"Well, partly yeah. And the other guys drove in a car since they live farther away."

Tori nodded, looking back at the road. Logan pulled into the driveway before the school and the car came to a halt.

"You have a really nice car." Tori admitted, nervously fumbling with her fingers. She didn't know why she was being really shy around Logan tonight. Not just shy, extra shy. Was it because he looked good? "Well, cars."

"Thank you." Tori looked at Logan and found him smiling brightly in the slight darkness around them that settled in the dark.

Tori returned it and they both quickly shuffled out of his car. The rest of the group caught up to them and together they made their way onto the steps and towards the main gates of the school.

"Where is the dance at?" Tori asked.

"It's in the gym. That's where it's always is." Miranda answered.

Tori felt someone tap her shoulder and she looked around to see Logan. She stopped whereas the rest of the group chattered loudly and entered the wide gym from where pop music could be heard blaring from the speakers.

"Yeah?" She asked, her heartbeat raising up a notch as she realized Logan and her were standing alone in the corridor.

"I know this is your first dance. So, um, are you okay?" Logan asked, scratching the back of his head.

Tori smiled. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"I just thought -"

"Logan, it's just a dance, right? I know I've never been to one but I can handle it. Come on, I'm not a five year old."

Logan chuckled. "I know." He looked down at her with his blue eyes twinkling brightly and Tori gulped nervously. "I like how our dress and suit match, you know?" He took a gentle step towards her.

Tori gave him a shaky smile. "Let's go inside before either Blake or Olivia throw a tantrum about not finding us."

Logan laughed heartily and nodded his head afterwards. He draped his arm around Tori's shoulders casually as they both walked towards the double doors of the gym hall.

Tori's heart hammered wildly against her chest, threatening to explode any moment at the close proximity between her and Logan. She could almost breathe in his scent - musky aftershave and pineapples.

Inside, Tori couldn't resist smiling widely. The wide gym hall was decorated beautifully. The walls were draped in beautiful colors of lilac and white and bright lights of the same color hung above them, giving the whole hall a mystical and beautiful glow. There were different flower arrangements here and there as well and Tori couldn't help but admire them.

"Wow." She whispered. "I didn't know the gym could look this beautiful. All you smell here is sweat usually."

"Looks like they have really outdone themselves this year." Olivia commented while looking around as Tori and Logan caught up to the group. Logan shrugged his arm away and took in the beautiful surroundings himself. Tori sighed deeply as she stepped a few steps further away from him.