One

There was something in her room.

Tori stood in the doorway, silently eyeing the object on her bed. A medium-sized box wrapped up in sky blue paper sat nestled between the purple pillows on her bed. She quickly walked over to further inspect it. There was a small card, pasted in a corner, and a smile tugged at her lips as she read the cursive writing on it.

Surprise! Happy Birthday, Tori. Sorry I couldn't drop by.

There was no name on the card regarding who the sender was, but Tori perfectly knew who it could be. A slightly sad feeling filled her heart as her mind roamed back to the day her best friend was moving away from Wisconsin to New York. Shaking the brief moment away, Tori quickly sat on her bed and hastily tore away the wrapping paper to see what was inside. When she managed to open it, a small gasp escaped her lips.

She took out a journal, which had its front and back covers decorated seemingly by hand, with quotes from various books. Tori instantly remembered which from because they were all from her favorite ones. She looked back in the box and took out a folded white T-shirt. When she held it in front of her she saw the words "FUCK THIS, I'M OFF TO HOGWARTS." written on it in bold. A smile stretched on her face. She reached in again and this time another navy blue velvet box came out. When she opened it, her eyes widened as her gaze settled on a simple yet beautiful chain necklace of the golden snitch, which had its elegant white wings open making it seem like as if it was frozen in time during its flight.

Tori stared at it for a while in awe. A warm feeling filled her entire being she and mentally declared it as the best thing she had ever gotten as a gift. Her heart swelled with happiness as she felt the wings with the tip of her finger and quickly fished out her phone from her jeans' pocket. After only a single ring, Ally picked up and her cheery voice could be heard from the phone.

"So you got it, huh?" Ally asked.

"Yup. And I absolutely love all of the stuff. Thank you so much, Al." Tori replied in an excited tone.

"It was nothing." She could hear Ally chuckling on the other side of the line. "What was your favorite?"

"Definitely the necklace. It's so beautiful and I absolutely love it. You knew I always wanted this one. Thank you so, so much, Al."

"I'm sorry I couldn't come by today to meet you. I had a test yesterday and I also have one tomorrow. God, senior year is killing me, Tori.'

Tori laughed while hearing her best friend whine in complain. "Yeah, well high school tends to do that to a person."

"I don't know how you make it look all so easy. By the way, I have to go right now and cram another five chapters into my head. Text you later?"

"Yeah, okay. Thank you again, Al."

"Happy Birthday, Tori." Ally replied. Tori could sense from her voice that she was smiling.

***

The next day, Tori could be seen wearing the golden snitch necklace in school. No one asked Tori about the necklace though, because there was actually no one to ask about it. She walked over to her locker to keep in a few books and headed off to homeroom. She wrapped her fingers around the snitch as she entered the classroom and a smile spread on her face while she took her usual seat in the corner. Tori glanced at the empty seat adjacent to hers and really wished Ally would have been here, beside her. She shifted her gaze towards her own hands when a scraggly emo boy dressed all in black settled in it. When everyone had filled the class, the sounds of chitter-chatter grew and like always, Tori was left all alone with her thoughts.

After Ally had moved away from here to New York, Tori never bothered making any new friends. Ally Finklestein, a proud owner of her last name and a fangirl similar like Tori, was her best friend since middle school. Tori remembered how they both found their love for fictional characters, books, movies and TV shows together. They would laugh together and they would cry together. But during sophomore year, Tori remembered how it was difficult for Ally to tell her that she was moving away because her parents were relocating their business to New York.

Being A FangirlOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara