Thirteen

Tori was really excited.

She tried really hard to keep it all in and took a moment to regain her demeanor before quickly placing her phone back in her jeans' pocket. She carefully climbed down the stairs after closing her bedroom door behind her.

Below, her Mom was up and about in the kitchen, whistling a melodious tune. Happy vibes everywhere, Tori thought. Maybe she will actually agree to this.

Tori walked up to the kitchen counter top where her Mom was beating some eggs and with a determined smirk slid on to the sitting stool opposite to her.

"Well, you seem really happy today." Tori stated with a smile looking at her mother while picking up an apple from the fruit basket beside her. Tori's mother looked up at her and smiled back.

"Well, I do feel really happy and content today." She replied while resuming to beating her eggs. "The new job is going great and I am really happy working there. Bless that boy, Logan, he really has helped me."

Tori's smile widened. She liked seeing her mother like this; happy and not worrying about her. As Tori bit into her apple, she remembered what she was supposed to ask her mother.

"I have one question though, Mom." Tori spoke up causing her mother to look at her again.

"Yes, dear?"

"How come you have never been on a date?" Tori asked, carefully scanning her face.

Tori's mother kept the beater aside and stood straight. "What sort of a question is that?"

"I mean, how many years has it been since you and Dad got divorced?" Tori inquired.

"It was the seventeenth of September, 2012. Why?" Tori's mother asked with a confused and curious look on her face.

"Exactly. It has been three years. It's actually surprising you haven't been on a date with someone for the past three years." Tori explained as she took another bite out of her apple.

"Says the girl who has never been on one herself." The older woman snorted.

"Mom, don't turn this on me."

Her mother sighed. "Honey, you know this is still a sensitive matter for me."

"Why?" Tori asked with furrowed brows.

"It's complicated, dear. You won't understand."

"It has been complicated for the past three years, Mom?" Tori asked with raised eyebrows. Her mother opened her mouth to say something back but when nothing came to her she closed her mouth and slumped her shoulders. "That's it. You're going out tomorrow." Tori spoke as she ate the rest of her apple.

"Tomorrow?" Her mother asked in surprise. "With whom? Do I even know the guy? Tori, what are you doing?"

Tori grinned. "Yes, Mom, tomorrow. You are going on a date with a person I and Ellie both approve of."

"Oh, so your sister is in on it too?" Her mother cocked an eyebrow.

"Uh huh."

"Well, I ain't going out with some random guy, Tori."

"Oh come on, just give him one chance. Please?" Tori pleaded. "You haven't gone out to enjoy yourself for such a long time."

"Okay, I'll give it a shot." Her mother sighed.

"Thank you."

"Well, I guess I have to go now, don't I?"

"Yup. Oh and he's going to be taking you out for dinner, so dress nicely." Tori winked.