Chapter 24

Aaron

I sat on the wooden chair after most of the people left from the memorial, I still can't believe that William Wright is dead. He was just here, lecturing the general surgeons , now he was gone. It was surreal, I can only imagine how Alex was feeling, knowing she was sad had me feeling even worse than I was feeling in general. Isaac lost his grandfather too. All of this had me feel guilty.

I knew that something was wrong with her dad but I couldn't figure out, I couldn't find his medical files-I asked the other doctors but no one knew why. I sat with my hand in my lap, looking down at them. Maybe I could've saved him.

I saw someone sitting down beside me, I turned to see that it is Alex.

"How are you holding up?" She gave me a little smile and sighed.

"I guess fine, I have Isaac to distract me from all of this." I snaked my hand into hers, she gave it a gentle squeeze.

"I need to talk to you, this doesn't seem like the best time but I promised my father"

"Sure" I turned to her. I didn't get to explain everything when I visited her and Isaac a while back, we were a bit occupied at the time.

"I know that after everything that has happened that things will never be the same, I know you feel bad about what you said about meeting me. I know you didn't mean it and, I think we should try again but if it all ends bad then parting ways is better." I couldn't be happier, I could feel the smile creeping onto my face.

"That seems like a fair deal" Before she can speak again I kissed her , this time the kiss we shared wasn't just of love it means so much more.

Someone cleared their throats making us break apart, even after everything Alex still turned red.

"Kissing in a church like that is probably illegal" Daniel says.

"You can catch up later, mom is looking for you" I held onto her hand and stood up. We walked together outside where people were huddled . I see Everett glare at me and Daniel nudge Thomas in the rubs to point to us. Her mother just smiled, she released my hand and walked to her mom to talk to her.

I took a deep breath, I've been hoping for this for quite some time.

Everett walked up to me-I still don't know what his deal was with me , he didn't look happy when I was around Alex and he seemed to glare at me every chance he gets. I have a feeling that maybe something happened between them but even if it did I am going to ignore it because this is a new page we get to start our story on.

I held my breath a bit as he came to me, I have taken a few blows for Alex, mostly by her brother and I wouldn't be surprised if I get another for everything that I've done to her.

He stands in front of me and then he smiles.

"You know I've never liked you at all- I always thought that you were using her for something but I think I was wrong. This time, do it right." He shook my hand and walked to Daniel.

I've made my peace with Daniel, it was funny that he could hate me the one second and the next he'd not care what I did and tell me I'm his brother in law to be.

I stood alone, looking around and then I saw Alex walking up to me with Isaac in her arms. She walked to me handing him to me.

"He's been a bit gumpy because I left him with uncle and aunt." I chuckled. I held him close, I still can't believe that I have a son. He was beautiful, blond hair and blue eyes, he snuggled up to me. I kissed his head and swayed back and forth with him.

"Ah Aunt Sally's lipstick is yuck" He gave me a toothless smile as I took my jacket sleeve and rubbed the smudged lipstick stain on his head away. I looked up to see Alex smiling at me, she studied us for a moment, maybe I was moving too fast again but I don't want to waste anymore time.

"You can move back with me, I got his room ready a long time ago" She frowned.

"After we broke up I made a nursery for him in the guest room, I kept hoping but after a year I thought it was stupid so I kept the room closed until I could pack it up again"

She kissed me on the cheek.

"I've missed you, and your love"

Back at Everett's loft, he took Isaac so that Alex and I can talk. It was already late so Everett was probably going to sleep too.

"So we're together again?"

She gave me a sad smile.

"Yes we are, I...don't know exactly where to start"

"Where we left off?" I pulled out the chain around my neck that had the black Swarovski crystal .

I pulled it off of the chain and placed it back on its rightful place.

"We can wait until Isaac is older and things are steady" She looked at her ring pulling it off.

"We can start where we left off but this ring, it reminds me of everything that happened between us" I took the ring and put it in my pocket.

"I understand, I guess we have to go ring shopping." She laughed a little.

"I guess so."

We continued talking for a few hours, about everything and anything until we eventually fell asleep.

Alex

I bolted up when I heard the baby monitor go off. My neck ached from sleeping on the couch and my hair looked like I got in the way of an electric outlet. Aaron wasn't where I left him last night. The monitor silenced, I frowned. Then I heard Aaron.

"Hey there my boy, seems like you and me have the same sleeping pattern, you're going to be a doctor someday, you already have the morning hour routine going for you. Mommy is sleeping , and you little buddy need to be sleeping too but here we are. I hope you like bad singing...

Hush little baby, don't say a word,

Papa's gonna buy you a mocking bird.

And if that mocking bird won't sing,

Papa's gonna buy you a diamond ring."

He continued singing to him, I rested my head on the monitor listening to him as he was singing. My heart was beating faster. I forgot how much I loved him, especially his voice. I think I fell asleep hearing him singing, Isaac too. Sometime after that I felt Aaron release my hand from the monitor and pick me up.

He carried me upstairs and muttered "Damn stairs" when he tripped, I was getting heavier, I was still safely in his arms as he walked to my room . I was set down onto the soft bed, I felt the bed dip and he pulled me into his arms.

I thought that I'd be okay but now I know that I needed him after all