Chapter 7

Alex

Midnight approached quickly, we sat at our table, I laughed at Aaron who was trying to answer me when I asked him what was the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to him. He didn't want to say at first but then eased into a story about his time as a resident when and how badly he used to screw up.

He explained his failure of a marriage to me also and profusely apologized for not telling me earlier. I know understood what he was going through and the idiot I was for not listening.

The waiter gently told us that the restaurant was closing, I really enjoyed Aaron's company and I felt a little sad that our dinner ended. It was relieving however that we could just talk and start fresh, I didn't need to relive my stupidity.

 I found out a lot of things about him, he has an older sister and he grew up in Ohio then went to college in Seattle where he got a bursary. He also liked to read as much as I did well, more since he read a medical textbook like it was fairytale.

We avoided talking about the kiss.

I studied his face as we walked out of the restaurant, he had the most adorable dimples when he smiled or laughed, his eyes were bright blue and his hair sandy blonde.

"Why are you staring at me?" He caught me staring, I turned away trying to act like I did nothing.

"I...I wasn't staring."

"Mmh hmm and my name is Dave." He answered sarcastically, I mock glared at him. He took my hand as we walked down the stairs. His hands were big compared to mine, I felt so small and his hands were so warm, oh dear me I think I'm losing it, me .sarcastic me never says things like that. A shiver ran up my spine when his fingers entwined with mine.

He released my hand when we got to the car, he opened the door for me.I slid in, feeling a strange sensation that I had before forming in the pit of my stomach. I pushed it down, trying to avoid whatever chaos could happen when that feeling came to the surface. The last thing I need was me freaking out and running away again.

He slid into to the driver side and looked at me.

"Do you want to have coffee with me?" I raised my eyebrow. I suddenly blurted out "Again?" He lifted his index finger in the air and waggled it at me. Why didn't I just say yes, I mean I'm an idiot, that sounded so harsh.

"Nah Ah not at the same place- coffee at my place?" I wrinkled my nose.

"Sure I'd love to." Usually I wouldn't agree to having coffee with any man, never mind at his place but the wine was messing with my usual paranoia sensors and it's just coffee, no big deal, right?

We drove to his house, the streets as he drove were abandoned since it was almost one am, I wasn't tired at all for some reason and maybe it was because I was so intrigued by Aaron and how alike we actually were.

Or it could be that I noticed how I felt when I was around him.

He stopped at his house and pulled into the driveway an half-hour later.

His house was a two story house that had a brick front , it looked rustic and cozy. It suited him. I didn't even notice this the last time I was here, perhaps because I was trying to sneak out...

He opened my door for me and helped me out, he walked to his front door, I followed him as he unlocked his door and switched on the light. He walked from the foyer into the living room, he set his keys in a bowl on a side table.

"You can make yourself comfortable while I turn on the kettle." I took a seat on the brown leather couch as he walked to the kitchen, a few seconds later he came in.