Chapter 20

Daniel

"Call an ambulance now!" I heard a familiar voice screaming, it took me a moment to realise that it was Aaron.

Everybody rushed out of the house.I followed in a rush.

I saw Aaron, kneeling beside my sister, doing heart massaging. I kneeled down on the other side.

"What happened!?"

"She just collapsed and now she's in sinus tach, she's breathing alright but it's becoming shallower. I need a tracheal tube, right now. Get my bag in the car!" My mind was a mess, why would she collapse , it wasn't a heart attack. As I ran to his car I realised what this was, it was the same symptoms that was happening when she had her panic attack when Xavier died.

People don't realise that if a anxiety attack happens and you can't breathe that there's a good chance you might have severe damage to your body. If you can't calm down things that might happen is you stop breathing for too long that can even cause brain damage, it's rare but Alex has had severe attacks, some where she black's out and others where her heart goes 190 bpm which is too high.

I wasn't sure ,I'd have to as Thomas who knew more.

I got his bag and ran to him, he looked focussed, the doctor mode.

He intubated her easily and told me to keep squeezing, the ambulance arrived shortly after and Aaron told them what they needed to do and what happened. As the doors slammed shut with a thump and the sirens blared as they drove away Thomas stood beside me. He just simply held my hand.

"It'll be okay, she's a fighter."

"I think it was a panic attack." Thomas shook his head, he was already an attending so he was a little older than me and he was a trauma surgeon.

"No, it's not that, it's likely but from what I saw that was an Arrhythmia. But she's in good hands."

"No she isn't, Aaron is not allowed to treat her since he is her fiancé "

"Fiancé?"

"Let's just say that today would've been a special day for both of us ."

Aaron

They wheeled her into the emergency room , the paramedic rambled the stats, reducing Alex to mere numbers. I felt helpless, I wasn't going to treat her, I couldn't since it was against hospital protocol.

She was healthy the one moment and the next she was just lying there. They shoved me out of the room making me sit in the waiting area.

Daniel came in a few minutes later with Thomas in tow.

I felt so useless, if I was in there I could help them ,it's after all my speciality .I hated feeling this way, the same feeling I had when I saw that girl in my operating room who looked like Alex . This time it was real.

"She just...collapsed" I remarked as I stared out in front of me, thinking about today and that today was going to be our special day, the day that I ask her to marry me. Daniel helped me plan everything, he was so excited that I was going to propose to her he demanded that I do it at his party. (He said it would be a gift to him to see his sister happy again and engaged)

The other trauma attending joined us and Thomas went in since it's his department.

"Is she okay?"

"Yes, she's fine thanks to you, it was an Arrhythmia that made her pass out , paired with anxiety and her body just started to give out, at that moment things got too much. She's been weak for a while since the baby was taking up so much of her energy. She and the baby seem to be doing just fine "He looked at me with a smile.