Chapter Eight: Forgiveness

“Hmm…that’s interesting, actually. I’ll have to find out more about her background, but from what you’ve told me Alice does seem like a loyal friend,” Derek replied after a moment’s consideration, and a grin lit up my face. If I could convince Derek to turn Alice, it would be perfect; although we could never replace Boyd, I knew in my heart Alice could help repair the holes in our hearts. Especially in Isaac’s. A couple weeks ago, when they’d gone to Sadie Hawkins together, I’d been astonished and pleased to note that Isaac was happier than I’d ever seen him, Boyd or no Boyd.

            “She looks gorgeous,” Isaac mumbled under his breath, and I was shocked to see Derek nod to him in agreement. Alice was walking down the stairs after me, dressed in an icy blue gown that hugged her curves and ended just above her knees with demure white heels. I’d chosen a sleek, simpler black satin number paired with fiery red crisscross platform sandals. Isaac had donned a plain black and white suit, while Derek was sheathed in all black, right down to the shoes on his feet. Together Derek and I looked intimidating and dangerous, and it sent shivers of pleasure down my spine.

“She’s beautiful,” Isaac stated, mesmerized, as Alice descended the stairs and joined us in the foyer. Her cheeks were lit up with color, and I didn’t think I’d ever seen her look so nervous, or so excited, or so…real. Being together not only made Isaac happy, but I think it made Alice a better person too.

“Shall we?” Derek said, offering me his arm with a grin and escorting me out the front door as the four of us headed out to dance.

“But Chris, what I really wanted to talk about was me turning…someone else.”

“Who?” I asked, my interest peaked.

“Well, uh, you actually. How would you like to become a werewolf?”

I was so surprised that the mouthful of bacon and lettuce started to go down the wrong pipe, and I choked and spluttered in shock. After taking a sip of Sweet Tea, I sat looking up into the space right above my laptop, in stunned silence.

“Uh, hey Chris. Long time, no see,” a voice above me interrupted, and I looked up from my computer screen to see Stiles standing in front of me, hands tucked in pockets nervously. My blood ran cold, and the blanket of awkwardness that descended upon us was almost stifling.

“Um, Derek, could we finish this up later, at home? I’ve gotta go,” I stuttered abruptly, slamming the laptop shut with a little more force than I’d intended as I motioned for Stiles to sit down across from me.

“So…what’s up?” I asked hesitantly when Stiles didn’t say anything for a while. He was closely examining his pale hands, picking at the skin on the sides of his fingers – a habit I knew he only did when he was anxious.

“Um, well, Scott and I couldn’t help but notice that you’ve been missing a lot of school lately, and we were…worried. About you.”

“Why? We’re not friends anymore,” I snapped, harsher than I’d meant to sound. Stiles’ face blossomed with hurt, and I immediately regretted my words. Truth be told, I did want to be friends with Scott and Stiles again. I missed them, and with the entire baby-no baby stuff, I could really use my best friends by my side. Alice was great, but she just didn’t understand me the way Scott did, or cheer me up the way only Stiles could.

“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that,” I said at the same time Stiles mumbled “I know.” The two of us looked at each other, and I tried to encourage Stiles to continue.

“Chris, we want you back, okay? It sucks not being friends with you, and we’ve gotten over our differences with Derek now. I swear things can go back to the way they used to be.”