Chapter Two: Argument

When Derek and I got home, we were surprised to see Erica in the kitchen, cooking. She barely came out of her room lately, and I hadn’t had a real conversation with her since that day. I missed her, but didn’t begrudge her the mourning period. Despite what she felt for Mr. Byrd, I knew she’d never stopped caring about Boyd.

“Hey,” Derek said cautiously as the two of us entered the kitchen slowly, hand in hand. Erica jumped, spinning around and letting slip a high-pitched cry of surprise.

“Wha-Oh, it’s just you guys,” she gasped, recognition dawning. “Would you like some grilled cheese?”

“Um, sure. Thanks. How’re you doing?” I asked hesitantly, trying not to set her off. Every other conversation I’d tried to initiate had ended up in Erica either slapping me or crying, and occasionally Derek or Isaac had been forced to restrain my friend. I definitely did not want to ruin whatever state of internal stability she had found.

“I’m fine. Uh, I’ve actually been thinking about going back to school tomorrow with you guys.”

“I don’t know if that’s such a good idea, Erica-“Derek tried to say, but Erica whipped around and shrieked before he could finish.

“Why?! Because I’m unstable? Because I’m grieving? Because I’m crazy?!”Erica screamed, her filthy blonde hair quivering around her pale, disheveled face. Dark circles rested under her eyes, and she’d been wearing the same sweatpants for two weeks. She definitely looks crazy, I thought.

“Of course we don’t think you’re crazy, it’s just-“

“Bullshit! Save me the lies, Derek. I’ve seen the way you three tiptoe around me like I’m going to explode at any second. Well guess what? I’m fine! Okay? I’m not gonna freak out, I’m not gonna try and kill myself, so can you just stop already? Just stop!”

As Erica was about to storm out of the kitchen, presumably to go back up to her room, Isaac appeared in the doorway, the swinging door closing shut behind him.

“What’s going on?” he inquired, leaning back against the wall casually.

“Where have you been?” I shot at him, trying to give Erica a moment or two to collect herself.

“Nowhere. I was just helping Scott with something,” Isaac replied, shoving his hands in his pockets defensively. I scoffed, glaring at him in disappointment. Derek was convinced the only reason I was bothered by Isaac hanging out with Scott was because I’d chosen the pack over my friends. But there was just something about it that made my skin crawl; we’d already lost Boyd to the Argents, we didn’t need to lose Isaac to Scott and Stiles also.

“Anyway…Erica, do you really think going back to school is the right choice?” Derek asked in a neutralizing tone, placing both hands on her shoulders.

What?” Isaac cried, lurching forward to knock Derek’s arms down roughly and replace them with his own. “Are you out of your mind? You can’t go back yet!”

“When did you become the boss of me?” Erica snapped.

“When did you become an idiot? Erica, you’re not ready. Not by a mile,” Isaac calmed down a bit, letting go of Erica and taking a couple deep breaths. I decided it was my turn to try my hand at convincing her it was a bad idea.

“I have to agree with them on this one, buddy. I could barely keep it together today, so something tells me you won’t be able to either,” I said as gently as I could. To my horror, tears flooded my friend’s big brown eyes and she rushed forward to slam into me. I stumbled back against the wall, bracing myself. It took me a moment to realize Erica was hugging me not tackling me, and I wrapped my arms tightly around her in relief. Bending my head down to rest against hers, I could feel the sobs coming before even one tear had dropped.