Chapter Twenty: Battle

****Dedicated to fluffymeowcat for being a dedicated reader, and one of my favorite wattpad users! I'm so sorry for your loss hon, and I hope you enjoy this chapter :)*******              

                  After I hung up with Derek, I immediately ran upstairs to change into more durable clothes – jeans, a t-shirt, and sneakers, to be exact. Then I carefully reached under my bed and pulled out an old Nike shoebox. Nestled in the fabric of one of my oversized t-shirts lay the gun I’d obtained during my pregnancy for defensive purposes only. I can’t believe I’m doing this. But something in my gut told me I had to protect Derek with everything I had, and this gun was my only form of attack against a trio of angry vampires. I quickly tucked it into the back waistband of my pants, where it was hidden underneath my loose shirt, and then hightailed it over to Derek’s. While barely even ten minutes had passed, I knew the fight may very well be over by the time I arrived – the vampires moved fast. But as I burst through the heavy wooden front door, my expression twisted into one of horror.

 Isaac and Erica were pinned against the wall by Gisela, who looked determined and fiercer than I’d ever seen her, while the two of them just looked angry and completely wolfed out. To my surprise, Cate was farther back, near the kitchen, fighting Peter, who was bruised and looked battle-worn. And finally my eyes searched out Derek’s midnight black hair and muscled physique, held down on the ground by Damien, whose fangs were extended and snapping at Derek’s exposed neck.

“No!” I screamed, commanding the attention of everyone in the room. Isaac seized his chance and kneed Gisela in the stomach, which distracted her long enough to allow him and Erica to escape. As Cate and Peter also returned to circling each other warily and occasionally landing a blow or two, I ran over to Derek and Damien, who’d had my sole focus the entire time. Derek’s Alpha red eyes met mine, while Damien just continued to glare at Derek and flash his fangs threateningly.

“Chris, get out of here,” Damien growled, baring his teeth at me briefly. I took the opportunity to swiftly assess Derek’s condition; he had blood trickling from his mouth that was already healing, along with a set of nasty slashes on his side that weren’t. Oh God.

“Yeah, okay,” I muttered sarcastically before shoving Damien’s shoulder as hard as I could. He didn’t shift even an inch. Dammit.

“Don’t do this, Damien, please. I love him.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about! He’s brainwashed you, tricked you into thinking he’s your soul mate or whatever, when really he’s just a dick who broke your heart,” Damien snarled, getting closer and closer to Derek’s neck.

“Fuck you, vampire,” Derek spat, struggled underneath Damien’s weight. It should’ve frightened me, how defenseless Derek was, but I couldn’t let anything distract me. I knew I had to act now, and in a move that was straight out of Supernatural, I whipped the gun out from behind my back and pointed it straight at Damien’s head. Almost instantaneously, everything stopped. Cate stopped mid-swing at Peter, Erica grabbed Isaac’s hand as he made to tackle Gisela, and Damien’s lips stilled barely an inch away from Derek’s neck.

“You know those can’t even hurt me,” Damien hissed, backing away so he was merely sitting on Derek’s chest and glaring at me. His eyes had grown red and feral, his lips were bared and his fangs were dripping with venom – I could hardly even recognize my savior, my confidant, my friend. Is this about more than just me and Derek getting back together? Maybe there’s some beef between vampires and werewolves that I don’t know about.

“No…but they can hurt me.” Slowly, and making sure I maintained eye contact with Damien the whole time, I turned the gun so it was pointing at my chest. Erica and Cate gasped simultaneously, and Isaac jerked forward. What the hell are you doing? He mouthed at me, frowning slightly. I responded with a barely discernible shake of my head, telling him with my eyes to trust me. I’d seen Elena do a stunt like this on The Vampire Diaries before, and if she could do it I damn well could too.