Chapter Five: Captivity

Derek’s POV

            “I’ve tried her seven times. Where is she?” I growled, pacing cagily in the living room while Isaac floated theories and made some calls. I’d seen Cece disappear upstairs sometime around eight o’clock, after we’d sent away Erica’s boyfriend, and it was now nearly nine-thirty. I was getting increasingly more worried – Erica and Chris had been gone for four and a half hours, and they weren’t answering their phones; it just went straight to voicemail. And despite our earlier fight, I knew Chris would never ignore my calls deliberately if she knew I’d be worried. She must be in trouble. It could be Jackson…or Peter. No, it’s most likely the Argents, and that means she could be hurt. I have to go.

“Isaac, come on – I’m tired of just sitting here, waiting around. Let’s go find them,” I commanded, grabbing my leather jacket off the couch and striding to open the front door. To my utter astonishment, Dean Morgan, a fellow werewolf friend of mine, stood on the other side of the door, hands in pockets.

“Dean, what’re you doing here?”

“Isaac called, said Chris was in trouble. I came to help,” he responded as if it was the most natural thing in the world for him to be concerned about my fiancée. A low growl built up in the back of my throat, but I suppressed it, figuring we had a better chance of rescuing Chris and Erica with his added strength and battle skills. Let it go. They’re friends. That’s all, I told myself forcefully, trying with all my heart to believe it. But with all the troubles Chris and I had been having lately, I couldn’t help but think that she was going to turn to Dean for comfort and just like that, I’d be replaced. I did smell him all over the bed yesterday…Trying to shake it off, I started the engine and quickly backed out of the driveway, figuring the best place to start looking would be the Argents’.

            The instant we arrived in the woods, I paired myself up with Isaac to scope out the back of the house while Dean went to the front door. As far as the Argents knew, Dean was just a friend of Chris’s, the psychology teacher and assistant basketball coach at Beacon Hills High, and completely human. He had the best chance of searching out the house, finding Chris’s smell, and then texting me her whereabouts. Then Isaac and I were going to bust in, get Erica and Chris, and get out. I just hoped it would be that easy.

Chris’s POV

            I struggled persistently against the ropes that bound me to the chair I was sitting on, but it was no use. I should’ve known – if Erica couldn’t get out of her bindings, I definitely wouldn’t be able to. After capturing us from the Thai restaurant, the Argents had put us in their SUV (looking back, I’d been idiotic not to notice it when we parked) and taken us back to their house, where we’d been tied up and left alone in the basement for about an hour. Now there was a hunter I didn’t know asking us all sorts of questions; about Derek, about the pack, about Peter’s resurrection. Mostly questions I didn’t know the answers to, although Erica certainly did.

“Come on, sweetheart, I know the Big Bad Wolf must’ve told his girlfriend something about his uncle. Now, how did Peter rise from the grave?”

“I already told you, I don’t know,” I sighed, fighting off the instinct to cry. As much as I wished Derek would just burst through that door and save us, I knew in my heart that would just cause more trouble. The Argents were not to be messed with, especially not since they still had leftover grudges against Derek for killing Mrs. Argent. There had been an unspoken truce after they’d killed Boyd, but I knew if given the chance, Allison or her dad wouldn’t hesitate to put a bullet right through Derek’s skull.