Chapter Thirty: Watched

• Dedicated to All of my dedicated fans :) You know who you are! I love you!

            The drive back to Beacon Hills was pleasant but tense, as Derek was annoyed with me for keeping information about the pack from him. I’d explained that it would’ve ruined our amazing weekend together, and that they were okay on their own for at least one night, which had made Derek reasonable enough to get in the car and drive for four hours with me. The minute we got home, however, he made me drive somewhere else while he went in to talk to them.

“They need me right now, Chris” was the only apology he offered me before Derek handed me the car keys and entered our apartment building. I sat, rather shocked and insulted, in the passenger seat for a few minutes before I decided I would drive over to Scott’s house. I could use some best friend time with the two of them, and when I knocked I was greeted by a grinning Melissa.

“Chris! It’s been a while, sweetheart. Come on in, of course,” she exclaimed happily, giving me a tight squeeze as she pulled me inside and locked the door. Not too long ago, Melissa had become aware of all the supernatural happenings in town, including the fact that her only son was a werewolf, and it had changed her for the better. She accepted what he was and the world he lived in and even helped out when she could. Melissa was the ideal mother. I wish my mom was that open-minded, I thought bitterly before Scott and Stiles came barreling down the stairs and crushed me in our signature three-way bear hug. I inhaled their overly-applied cologne with a smile, pulling back to suck in fresh air and look from one face to the other; something was wrong, I knew it, as they exchanged a worried glance and then proceeded to drag me upstairs.

“What’s going on?” I asked quickly, crossing my legs on Scott’s bed as Stiles paced in front of me and Scott reclined in his desk chair. They looked at each other again – the sort of look that you give someone when you’re not sure how much you should tell the other person.

“Oh come on, guys. It’s me.”

“Okay, fine. Do you remember my childhood friend Heather?” Stiles said finally, beginning to gesticulate dramatically as he spoke and paced in equal measure.

“Sure, the one who went missing a couple days ago?”

“Right. Well she turned up dead…along with another guy that Lydia found.”

“Wait, Lydia found a dead body?”

“Yup,” Stiles responded, popping the “p” and raising his eyebrows in a way that signaled agreement with my unspoken thought. Girl’s one crazy bitch.

“Okay, so what? Someone’s going around killing people?”

“Not just any people…virgins.”

What?” I cried, my eyes widening as I took in the deadly serious faces of my two best friends. Stranger things had happened, but still.

“Yeah. Exactly. And Stiles thinks it’s somebody sacrificing virgins because they were all killed in the Three Fall Death or something like that,” Scott deadpanned, nodding grimly while Stiles rolled his eyes.

“Threefold Death, you idiot.”

“Whatever. The point is, we have no idea who might be killing virgins-“

“Or why,” Stiles finished, a small crease permeating his otherwise fairly emotionless expression. I nodded, my mind wandering to Derek and how things might be going with Isaac and Monica. I’d worried about them all weekend, and now the curiosity and anxiety was killing me. If I’d thought Scott and Stiles would offer some relief from the drama, I was sorely mistaken.

“Well I’ll keep an eye out for all the virgins in town,” I joked, standing up and grabbing a video game at random off of Scott’s desk. Stiles and Scott followed me as I slid the disk into the TV and grabbed a console.