Chapter Thirteen: Pursuit

“There he is!” I cried, not even waiting for Gisela as I turned and jumped off stage, running through the crowd in hot pursuit of my older brother. When I finally caught up to him, I threw myself in his arms and screamed at him relentlessly.

“Oh my God, what the hell Mike? You totally scared the crap out of me and Loni! And some weird vampires who are with us looking for you-“I stuttered to a stop as I realized the man I was holding onto wasn’t Michael. He looked pleased though, ogling my ample cleavage, and immediately I scoffed and backed away, disappointment washing over me. Gisela had found me and was standing a few feet away. As I stormed out of the club, she chased after me, calling my name.

“Chris, wait! Wait!”

“We’re never going to find them! Who’re we kidding – they don’t wanna be found, so we might as well just go home,” I exclaimed, pacing back and forth and running a hand through my long, curly red hair agitatedly. Gisela seemed unsure what to do, and with another scoff and an eye roll I stomped back inside to grab my stuff. The minute I got into the back room, I slipped my jean shorts on over the ridiculous outfits we were wearing and called Derek. I knew he was out searching the streets for my brothers, and that only made me miss him more. He was doing this for me, after all.

“Chris, hey.”

“Derek, I need you. Can you meet me somewhere so we can talk?” I almost begged him, close to tears. I myself didn’t even understand why I was upset, but I knew talking to Derek would help. He agreed, and we decided to meet at a McDonalds two blocks away. Swinging my purse over my shoulder and pulling my tank top on, I shouldered past a bewildered Gisela and starting walking down the street.

“Chris, wait! Where are you going?” Gisela shouted, a little out of breath as she caught up to me and grabbed onto my arm.

“To meet Derek.”

“But we’re not done looking! In fact, this was only the first strip club of many-“

“God, don’t you get it! We’re never going to find them!” I screamed, my anger bubbling up in a fiery outburst. Gisela flinched, stepping back; the confused, wounded puppy-dog look in her big green eyes was making my conscience guilty.

“But we have to keep looking! Don’t you want to find your brothers?”

“Sure but they don’t want to be found. Why are you even doing this, huh?”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, why are you and Damien and the others so interested in finding Michael? What is he to you? Cause I’m pretty sure he doesn’t even know that vampires exist.”

“Quite the opposite, actually. Michael has been seeing Annie for several months now.”

Several months?

“That’s right.”

I stood there, shell-shocked. My brother had been dating a vampire for several months and I’d had no clue? Suddenly, the surge of emotions came rushing back, tangling together and whipping at my mind. A sob tore through me, and with a strangled cry I turned away from Gisela and ran the rest of the way to the McDonalds. I felt like every aspect of my life was screwed up beyond repair. My fiancé’s an Alpha werewolf. My best friends are all part of his werewolf pack. My mom’s gone, my brother’s dating a vampire, and my friend is dead. My psych teacher is yet another werewolf, and half of the town wants to try and kill everyone I love. The minute I pushed through the grimy glass doors, I spotted Derek’s signature black leather jacket, straining over his muscular shoulders and broad back. He turned simultaneously, immediately focusing in on my face. My waterworks escalated as I saw Derek’s expression flash from recognition, to relief, to happiness, to alarm, and finally settled on concern. In an instant, he was in front of me, pulling me into his arms and smoothly walking us over to a booth.