Chapter Thirty-One: Revelation

“What’s a Darach?” I asked Stiles in puzzlement while I stirred sugar and cream into my coffee the next morning, balancing my phone precariously between my shoulder and my neck.

“A Druid, like from the old British myths. But a dark one, one that’s strayed from the path. Darach literally means ‘Dark Oak’ while Druid means ‘Wise Oak’ in Gaelic.”

“Okay so this person who’s sacrificing virgins and now warriors, you say, is a Darach?”

“Not really. They’re just imitating the behaviors of a Darach, at least according to Deaton,” Stiles sighed, and I heard the sounds of water running in the background. I took a deep gulp of my coffee, letting the hot caffeinated liquid run down my throat and sharpen my mind as I pondered over what Stiles had told me.

“Okay, I’ll talk to Derek about it. Thanks, Stiles.”

“See you at school,” he said before hanging up, and I slid my phone into my back pocket as I sat down at the kitchen table. Holding my left hand out, I admired my ring with a fuzzy warmth that was becoming familiar. It still felt surreal, the fact that Derek and I were going to be married one day, but at the same time it felt more natural than any choice I’d ever made. My life was completely intertwined with his, and a couple rings and a piece of paper would only solidify that.

                  “Hey Chris,” Isaac’s voice broke through my thoughts, bringing my eyes up to meet his in shock. Immediately, I tightened my right hand around my cup, sending sharp pain radiating through the myriad of cuts across my palm. Regret flashed in Isaac’s blue eyes as he approached me, taking a seat across the table.

“What do you want?” I snapped, casting my eyes down and taking another sip of my coffee while I waited for Isaac’s apology. I wasn’t really that mad at him for pushing me – in fact I completely understood why he’d done it, but that didn’t change the fact that he had hurt me.

“To say I’m sorry. I let my emotions get out of control yesterday and I took it out on you. I’m really sorry,” he said in a throaty, remorseful tone. I looked up, locking eyes with my close friend and nodding slowly in acceptance of his apology.

“It’s okay. I shouldn’t have used that nickname so soon after – well, you know.” Isaac smiled gratefully at me, opening his mouth to say something when the kitchen door banged open and Derek stormed in, eyes red and hair sprouting from the sides of his face as we watched in mounting horror. What is wrong with him? I thought in bewilderment, jumping up to go to him when I realized Derek’s anger was directed at Isaac. Oh no; he heard. I tried to get in front of Isaac but he pushed me aside and stood facing Derek without fear.

“Derek, I’m sorry-“Before he could even get the words out, Derek’s fist flew out and knocked Isaac across the side of the face, sending him staggering back into the kitchen counter as Derek stalked forward to grab his t-shirt in a tight fist. He shoved Isaac back into the wall, punching him so many times I lost count. I watched with wide eyes as my friend collapsed onto the ground, covering his head with his arms as Derek kicked him in the chest and then lifted him up off the ground by his collar like a playground bully. 

“Don’t you ever-“he growled, punctuating the last word by slamming Isaac against the wall once more-“touch Chris again. You understand?”

Isaac nodded, his whole body trembling as each injury healed gradually. Derek let go of him, shoving Isaac so far across the kitchen that he nearly fell through the window beside me. I grabbed onto Isaac’s arm, leaning over to make sure he was okay when Derek spoke again, in the same furious, commanding Alpha tone.

“Get out.”

“W-what?” Isaac stammered, his voice wavering in uncertainty. I looked at Derek in surprise and disagreement, stepping forward so I was slightly in front of Isaac and bringing Derek’s attention to myself.