Chapter 33

Thanks for the cover Sierra-Night!

Chapter 33

With the addition of the two incredibly high ranked individuals in the pack, life at the pack has never been more happy nor as chaotic. Jackson's father Henry wowed all of us with his delicious and absolutely amazing recipes, as well as his shortcuts which he taught me little by little. From speeding up the preparation of food, making meals more delicious, and keeping us laughing with his belly laughs, I don't think I've been happier in the kitchen. He always pushes us to put out the best food we can, and often laments on how happy he is that he can now spend his days cooking instead of doing his 'tedious' alpha duties which he whispered out secretively to me. It took a while for me to recognize him as the teddy bear he is, and of his ability to make my glum days all the more brighter.

His wife Christie on the other hand, took up the more 'manlier' job of training the wolves. During this time, she forced many reluctant she wolves to extend their training time, and even did workshops where the women had to do combat with the men. She explained that if we were attacked, we have to be ready to face the forces of both 'evil' men and women. To prepare us for danger, she also attacked certain individuals, as she caught people off guard when they came out the shower or picked up their laundry, so that by the end of the week, everyone became incredibly paranoid and jumped at the smallest sounds. She also continued to approach me and nagged constantly about the importance to train and how her son would definitely appreciate firm buttocks above saggy ones- not that she was implying anything she added hastily. Besides this, she helped me do the household chores and even helped me to arrange a cleaning roster so that my job was distributed amongst the pack. At first I was reluctant, but she emphasized that it was a way to get ready as when I am heavy with her grandpups, I could not do the work anyway. I blushed tomato red, and remained that way for almost the whole day as I contemplated  with an escalating happiness upon having my own pups. The rest of the pack quickly took to their jobs, and many people with cheek addressed me as luna every once in a while, which left me struck with the sudden realization that I had many responsibilities now with my having Jackson as my mate. It never really occurred to me, but made me happy all the same with the thought that as I take care of them, maybe they'll take care of me too.

Eventually though, as all things do, the days turned from sweet to sour pretty quickly.

The increased interruptions between Jackson and I, as well as Colton's avoidance of me, and Cam's start of school which meant that I got to see him less and less, took a toll on me and often made me temperamental. If Colton was still around, he undoubtedly would've commented on my pms-ing mood, but he continued to steer clear of me like the plague. I started to think that it was because of my unhappy mood and I became even more grumpy and prone to lashing out, such that even Henry started giving me some space. Even Christie's cheerful mood couldn't raise my spirits, and by the end of the week most of the pack had followed Henry's lead.

It all became suddenly too much when grandma Beth slipped on her way up the stairs, and almost had a concussion. It was this that finally led to my breakdown in which I couldn't help myself as I cried mountains of tears. I baked almost a hundred batches of cookies, cupcakes and brownies, and took care to make the flavors that Jackson, Cam, Beth and Colton enjoyed. If they didn't enjoy my mood over the last week, I hoped that these would somehow make up for my lousiness.

At quarter past 5, I collapse onto the counter top, my energy fully gone and my emotional tears subsiding. Too spent, my eyes shut and everything turns black.

Something soft and warm is touching my forehead as I come to, it's touch gentle and delicate like soft petals falling upon the ground. Opening my eyes, I come face to face with none other than Colton, whose face furrows with concentration. I sit up and prop myself upon the pillows, my mouth opening, but no words coming out.

'Hey.' Colton says quietly.

To this, I have no reply and stare incredulously towards him.

'You've been avoiding me for WEEKS Colton, and all you can is HEY?!' I shout at him, taking the pillow behind me swiftly and smacking him with it violently to express each word.

'I came here each night with your favorite food because you missed yet ANOTHER dinner, and ALL YOU CAN SAY IS HEY!?' I yell at him, ignoring Beth behind Colton, muttering loudly 'let it all out' and 'why shouldn't the girl let off a little steam' to her visiting friend who is looking at me like she had just seen the abominable snowman.

My anger vanishing as quickly as it came, I sag into my pillow, fresh tears flowing from the corners of my eyes.
'I don't know why I'm so emotional all the time Colton.' I cry out,
'You must hate me.' I say despairingly,
'But I hate you MORE.' I hiccup.

Yes, I have officially succumb to my emotions.

I make a lunge towards Colton and hug the life out of him, finally whispering tiredly,
'I miss you Colt.'
'I wish you'd just tel my why you're avoiding me'

He pats my back awkwardly, extracting my arms from around me, and saying to me words that I barely could hear in my absolute disbelief and anger.
'My brother- you mate- told me to stay away from whats HIS.' he says scathingly.
In the background, I can vaguely hear Beth and Muriel chuckling merely, 'oh this is better than a soap opera!'

Oh his brother is in so much trouble.