Chapter 13 Mandhandled

Chapter 13 Manhandled

I wait impatiently outside the door, fear and anticipation building up inside of me. My raised fist shakes in the air as I bring it up to rap it against the polished wooden barrier.
My breaths comes out in short puffs and I exhale slowly, trying to calm the steroid-like nervousness in my veins. I cannot for the life of me keep still, and it proved to be a much harder task than getting the kids to bed.

But as a gruff voice vibrates out
'Come in' I freeze against the door, my body paralyzed with fear.
I finally manage to reach out to the brass handle, and with Cam's angelic face in mind, I found the courage to twist the door knob open and step over the threshold.

I manage to step forward slowly- a feat that I find to be rather astonishing considering that I feel as if I am about to approach the lion's den. Or rather, the wolf's hunting ground in this case.
Alpha's are unpredictable, volatile, cruel and dangerous. So I had thought. But these last couple of weeks being in this pack house definitely has shaped my views on a certain Alpha to be much.. kinder, considerate and loving even. Like a bear that you think would crush you with it's rough paws, but is actually trying to sweep your hair back away from your face.

I approach his slightly cluttered mahogany desk, keeping my gaze interlocked with the polished wood. He quickly shuts his notebook as he sees me, dropping his pencil and standing up. I get this weird feeling as if he had somewhat been expecting me.

'What's on your mind Miss Evelyn?' He asks, breaking the sound of my stilling footsteps upon the floor.

'I- I was just wondering if- if..' I say quietly trailing off, knowing that if I look into his eyes now, my thoughts are likely to disappear and melt away like the dark molten chocolate lava of his eyes.

'What is it?' He asks me gently with a slight twist of humour, and from the corner of my eyes, I see him close the distance between us until we are merely a foot apart.

'You can ask me anything,' He says,
'I- I mean, you're a member of the pack now, and we look after and help one another.' He says gruffly as if afraid that what he had said just before would ruin his badass reputation.

But of course it is the fact that someone can care so much for their pack members that makes them the most lethal- because they want the best for their family and would protect them from all harm, no matter the consequences, no matter the blood shed.

'I, I- is it possible if I could. . borrow some money?' I ask quietly, my fingers interlocking themselves around one another and my heartbeats once again pumping erratically in his presence.

'Sure, how much do you need?' He asks, turning around to his desk and picking up the phone. I stare up at him unbelievingly, my eyes going wide and finally looking at him in the eyes. It can't have been this easy! And I certainly did not have to keep practising what I would ask him over and over again in my head. Not to mention all the stress that my poor head has gone through once again, and from the same perpetrator.

He seems to enjoy watching me squirm and listening to my heartbeats- which are always unbearably smutty when it comes to his case. He smirks at my initial nervousness, which has now turned into irritation at his knowing and arrogant disposition. I always wonder how one could change attitudes in a blink of an eye, although maybe it's just part of being an alpha.

'I'll get Lindsay on it right away,' He says,
'She's the pack's accountant' he tells me when I scrunch my eyebrows to try and figure out who she is among many of the pack members' females.

'She's the one that loves pears.' He adds, and I nod, my brows relaxing.

So that's Lindsay! She had always been polite to me, even when I accidentally served her some nuts, not knowing that she was allergic to them.
I still shudder at the memories of the last time that I had served something unwanted at past packs. Some had thrown the food back at me or dropped the plate upon the ground laughing.
Yup, I definitely do not want to remember.

Jackson murmurs quietly with Lindsay and my ears strain to catch what he is saying. There is no doubt that any average wolf would be able to hear their conversation within this distance, but with my wolf weakening to this extent, I can barely make out the words that leaves his lips. I try to read his lips and manage to pick up some stray words, but it is still in a jumbled mess that is barely comprehendible. He furrows his brows in confusion every once in a while and I hear the words 'already' and 'are you sure' repeated considerably over the phone call.
I fidget uncomfortably and he sends me a small assuring smile as he listens to the phone call.

'Lindsay says from her records that you still have a fair amount in your account, but I can still lend you some more if you still require it?' He looks to me questioningly.

My face scrunches up in confusion as I look towards him,
'Acc- account?' I stutter.

'Yeah, you can go to Lindsay to check it if you want, her office is on the 1st floor, the first corridor on the left as you come in the entrance.' He says.

'I- alright.' I say quietly, still in a daze as I flutter away from the masculine musky scent that envelops me each time I near him. I thank him, looking him straight in the eyes with a small smile and now it is his turn to flush, his tanned skin going just a shade darker. I continue looking at him, but now with confusion at his downright strange behaviour.

'Are you alright Alpha?' I ask him worriedly, approaching him once again with less caution than before.

He clears his throat roughly, 'I'll escort you there' he says, keeping his gaze away from my worried eyes.

'It's alright, I can get there just fine,' I reply quickly,
'Maybe you should rest, you look a bit flushed' I say trying to search him for any fatigue, as of common procedure to many pack members I meet.

'I'm fine' he snaps, striding to the door with harsh steps.
I stumble quickly after him, racing to get the door open first. At my old packs, every time the alpha is anywhere near a door, I am expected to open it for them and see them out. You can guess what the consequences were if I was just a millisecond late to the door.
With my past in mind, I twist and yank the door open and stand beside the opened doorway with a bowed head. I see his footsteps slow and I worry that I am in trouble once again. Nothing happens for a while and I didn't dare peek up at him.

Suddenly, I am upside down with my hips on his shoulders and my legs enveloped by his warm hands.

'Don't you ever do that again.' He growls out, and I can feel the vibration of his agitated wolf inside him as it passes through me like a hurricane.

I struggle fruitlessly against his hold and he clamps down harder on my legs, swatting me lightly on the but when I did not recuperate. I gasp loudly,

'This is hardly appropriate Alpha Jackson Donovan!'