Chapter 15 Happiness

I would've started bawling my eyes out with happy tears if it had not been for Elsa who came to the rescue, asking me for help in the kitchens. I remembered her eyes shining with happiness and as I went into the confines of the sweltering cooking area, and she hugged me so tight that a few of my ribs cracked slightly.

My legs drag my lifeless body towards my bedroom. Anxiety and defeat runs through my veins as I try to come to terms with perhaps being kicked out of the pack and never being able to see the children again. I don't even mind returning back to sleeping on my lumpy mattress in my room, which after a couple of nights in a comfy hospital bed made me dread returning. For it is the main cause of my sore back and cold nights with a ratty blanket. I was too afraid to ask for a replacement, and am still afraid to be honest. Though I had no doubt that by tomorrow, I will be packing away my belongings and be transferred to yet another cruel pack. So I suppose one last night on it really will not make a difference. Comfy beds are after all a luxury that not all peoples get.

I twist the doorknob quickly and enter the room, groping in the darkness for the light switch.
But my systems freeze in shock and wonder as my eyes bulge open in disbelief at the sight before me.

A lush poster bed with heavy furnishings fills the used to be bare room, complete with plump pillows and the like. I look around in astonishment and drink everything in, there is a new wardrobe and shelf next to the windows and there is a slight hint of paint that my insensitive nose can barely distinct. There are new curtains and a bedside table and lamp. There is even a desk not unlike Alpha Jackson's- perhaps even a miniature version- and after further examination, the drawers are fully stocked with stationery ranging from pens, notebooks and paper. I shake my head in disbelief. I stalk towards the wardrobe, there cannot be clothes in it can there? This all seems too good to be true as yet again I find the wooden furniture to be filled with clothing of my size to be precise.

Who would go through all this trouble for a maid? Or perhaps this room is meant for someone else and I am to have another? Yes, that must be it. It's the only rational explanation for this. I switch off the light and quietly leave the room- although not without having one last glance at it. I could not help but be a little sad that I will never have such luxuries as these.

I approach the infirmary with light steps, hoping to ask Colton about where my new bedroom will be. We had become quite close after several nights of 'examinations' that I've had with him.
I stalk the almost pitch black corridor and with eyes straining, I bump into something alive and breathing.
It could've been a wall for all I know if arms didn't engulf me and a familiar musky scent fulfil my enlivened senses. Ice grip my insides and panic that I will be sent packing threatens to overwhelm me.

'Do you like the new bedroom?' He gruffly asks, gently releasing me from his hold.

'I- yes, it's beautiful' I say truthfully, my panic slightly receding somewhat.
At least he didn't just cut to the chase.

'What are you still doing up?'

'I was just going to- to see Colton' I stutter nervously.

Even in the dim light, I can see a frown mar the alpha's initial inscrutable expression.
'What for?' He demands.

'I- I was just- just going to ask him something' I mumble, keeping my head low.

'You can ask me' He says firmly.

After a pause in which my heartbeats rapidly increases, I finally muster up the courage to ask him.
'It's just, where is my new room?' I ask quietly.

'What do you mean?' He asks me, sounding taken aback.
'Do you not like the colours? I knew the coral was too much, maybe you like green better? I've seen you wear it a lot'

In my surprise, I look up and meet him eye to eye. Now that my eyes have adjusted to the darkness, there is a slight blush in the alpha's cheeks.
Maybe thinking that he's told me too much, he puts an arm around my shoulders and steers me back to my room.
I did not protest- although I want to for sure- but the look on his face tells me that he is being serious.

And sure enough, before shutting the door gently in front of me, he starts on me.
'You deserve better. When will you ever realise that?' He asks me, and when I open my mouth in retaliation, he simply shakes his head towards me and tells me to meet him back in the accountant's office where recently a Donovan family gathering had taken place.

It is with disbelief and elation that I plop onto the bed, and fall straight into REM sleep.

There is something different in the atmosphere of the kitchen the next morning. I for one, am much happier now that I have a much comfier bed, and that my stay at the Phoenix pack has been extended indefinitely. Elsa is happy that I am happier, and Pete who has for a long time rather fancied her is happy that she is happy.

So it is with cheerfulness that we all proceed to prepare yet another breakfast brunch. Although of course not without the usual banter from Pete and Elsa who are busy making the pancake batter, whilst occasionally insulting one another over their preferred dessert options (Pete waffles and Elsa donuts). I for one enjoy eclairs, but I much prefer to be left out of the argument. I believe Pete is now calling Elsa a hole lover and Elsa is smacking Pete in the arm with a wooden spoon.
The usual naughty children also sneak in for a morning snack and running away quickly when the usual pack warriors come in for a quick protein shake or pre-workout drinks as they like to call them.

All for all, it would've been another ordinary-if not happier- but still ordinary pre breakfast ritual, had there not been rouge wolves deciding to pay us a visit.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Can't wait for tomorrow! 🎄🎁🎄🎅🎄
Feel free to comment and vote! 😽
And thank you so much for sticking with this story! Means so much to me!!! 😂😊