Chapter 29

Chapter 29

'You should've told me!' Jackson growls with annoyance, his hands swiping the air as though his wolfy claws are still out.
Lying on his desk face down with ice packs upon my back, I stare at the alpha's shadow with amusement as he paces backwards and forwards within his study. He grumbles under his breath,

'Reckless woman!'
'Could've been killed'
'Unbelievable'

I can't help but let the goofy grin dominate my face, and instead of getting a telling off for finding this 'funny,' I resort to looking out the window towards the dark starry sky.

'Next time I will give you a spanking if you try something like that again.' The alpha stands directly in front of me with hands clenching tightly into a fist. With the goofy smile still upon my face, I look back towards him, finally noticing that he has put an end to his walk. Looking down at me, his disgruntled face morphs into disbelief as he notices the full blown smile upon my face.

As he is about to open his mouth- no doubt attempting to reprimand me for my thoughtlessness- I jump into the air making a lunge at him. The abandoned ice packs fall to the ground with a resounding thump, but I pay it no attention as I enclose my arms around Jackson's taut back, snuggling into his chest, and burrowing my face to hear his escalating heart beats. For a split second, Jackson remains frozen, his arms lying limp by his sides, but they soon come to life as they surround me with their strength and warmth. I can stay like this forever.
Enveloped in his heat and caged within his arms, I have never felt this sense of belonging ever before. This sense of coming home.

Jackson tucks my head under his chin- yes he is that tall- and grumbles lowly,
'Don't think I've forgotten your recklessness today.'
'What recklessness?' I look up at him, giving him my best puppy eyes, as adopted from Cam.
'And don't give me that look' he says, closing his eyes tightly and shaking his head forcefully.
Giggling, I scramble to tuck my head under his chin again, this time placing my ears directly above his chest to hear the lively thumps emanate from his heart. The alpha reaches his hand towards my hair and lightly runs his hands between the strands. Almost purring by now, I close my eyes and fall deeper, and deeper into the embrace.

It is the darkness that greets me when I open my eyes, and as they slowly adjust, I become more aware of the moonlight streaming into the confines of the room and creating an eerie shadow of the trees upon my bed sheets.
Silently thinking about the day, I realise that I must've fallen asleep in Jackson's comfy arms, his heady scent and warmth lulling me to sleep. Despite waking up now, it was one of the best rests I've had since the nightmares had come back. Turning back onto my side into a more comfortable position, I notice the now warm ice packs lying next to me. Jackson must've placed them there whilst putting me to bed. The idea of this warms me up with hope and happiness as I am hit again with the realisation that he cares. Snuggling further into my bed, I clutch at the ice packs, hoping with all my might that the alpha doesn't change his mind about accepting me.

Humming to myself, I work around the kitchen, whisking the many eggs for the omelettes in which the pack has grown such a liking to. It is also an incredibly easy way to smuggle in vegetables for the pups, and especially for the more rebellious teenagers who are heavily influenced by their human friends' eating habits. They also have yet to know that a raw egg always makes its way into their smoothies, or that the gravy has been infused with crushed broccoli, or that sometimes, their mashed potato has garlic in it.
Breaking the lonely kitchen, Pete blearily walks in, his unsteady steps making it seem as though he is drunk.

'Where's Elsa?' he mumbles, dragging his feet towards the pot of coffee.

'She's at the morning market remember?' I say, reaching over him to grab the salt.

Pete lets out a grunt, clearly grumpy at having to wake up this early.
'Don't you grunt at me' I say, pointing at him with my spatula to emphasise my point,
'Elsa's been up at the crack of dawn to buy us more eggs and veggies' I say, twisting back around to check on the frying pan.

Pete chuckles, looking over his coffee towards me,
'I remember when you wouldn't trust anyone to do the shopping. You almost had a seizure when you thought I went to the market remember?'

Chuckling in response, I turn back to my task, flipping the omelet and frying the next one. To me, cooking is my therapy, it is my time to unwind and just focus on the many scents wafting around me.

'You're happy today' Pete comments thoughtfully. Smiling even wider, I start thinking back to yesterday's events and Jackson. It was my first time to see his wolf, and he had chosen me to protect for all of eternity. I think that constitutes as something to be happy about.

'Could it be something to do with the alpha?' he asks cheekily.

'Grandma Beth swore that she saw you kissing' he says, his voice drenched with amusement.

I whirl around to face him, splattering egg mixture accidentally towards Pete. In my shock at his statement, I can't help but burst into laughter as I see him soaking in egg, still holding his steaming cup to his mouth.

That definitely woke him up at least.
'Egg is good for the skin' I say weakly, throwing paper towels in his direction.

'I am so getting you back for this' he growls with annoyance, although his eyes betrays him as they hold his amusement.

I turn back towards the eggs, my chuckles very slowly dying down as I carefully place the cooked into separate plates based on their ingredients. So concentrated that I don't notice Pete's lithe footsteps towards me- not until he hugs my behind, soaking my dress with egg.

Squealing in shock, I try to escape from his hold as I feel the coldness seep into my clothes, but to no avail, it is pretty much impossible.

Just as I am about to reprimand Pete, the kitchen doors are flung open and the alpha's low growl fills the air,

'What is the meaning of this?'