Chapter 6 Talking with my little man

'Hey, it's alright- I'm not going to hurt you.' Alpha Jackson hurriedly says, laying the dishes inside the sink and approaching me quickly.
I take small steps backwards until I hit the wall, and brace myself for the blows that I am sure are going to rain down any second. But gentle hands took mine in them and the alpha engulfes my small frame into his much larger one. My trembling stops and I allow myself to relax in his hold, my erratic heartbeats now slowing.

My right palm touches his chest- the universal tradition in the werewolf world that allows she-wolves to find out whether or not he/she is indeed her mate. Hot heat spreads up my palm directly into my chest and I feel his wolf call out to me in excitement much like an enthusiastic pup. My wolf stirs in her comatose state and weakly calls out hello, but the alpha's wolf did not hear and retreats back within Jackson in a confused state. I tremble with sadness and disappointment, closing my eyes briefly.

My own mate doesn't recognize me. I have been waiting all my life for him to come, to rescue me from my father, from the abuse and save me from my own wolf, but not all dreams can come true. Maybe he deserves better, he deserves a woman who can stand up for herself, who is not afraid of him, who doesn't have a dying wolf inside of her. Or maybe I'm just not good enough and the fates have now just realized so.

I am brought back to the present by large hands shaking me and a husky voice calling out to me. I finally snap my eyes open, not meeting Alpha Jackson's gaze once again and looking firmly at the ground.

'I best be returning to my duties Alpha.' I say quietly.

He says nothing for what seems like forever as I wait for him to allow me leave. He clears his throat awkwardly, probably considering why his wolf had jumped and retreated just moments ago.

'You may go' He says in a low tone.

I bow towards him, my back protesting and I walk past the swinging doors of the kitchen. I smooth my hands down my apron and enter the dining room, my impatience of greeting the kids brimming.

'Miss Evey!' They all shout, but it is Cam that manages to run to me first, burrowing his head into my stomach, sticky hands enwrapping me around the waist. I run my fingers through his hair, watching as the children comes forward and makes a loose circle around us. The children can't help themselves but ask even more and more questions- about my health and my 'flirting' with Colton.
I hush them hoping that the other wolves wont hear also and ask in an attempt to change the subject,
'Have you all finished your veggies?'

'Yes Miss Evelyn' They chorus back to me.

'Are you sure?' I ask them, glancing around particularly looking at Ellie, not having forgotten her ban from dessert.

'Yes ma'am' Ellie says for them all.

'Alright then, why don't you all go outside and play!' I shooed them all out with the help of Colton who opens the door to the garden. This makes everything worse as the children looks at me knowingly as they walk past each giving me a hug. I shake my head at them but their smirks would not go away. Soon, all the pups are gone except for one.

'Cam-' I start, looking down at his still burrowed form on my stomach, but he interrupts me,

'Miss Evelyn, promise me you won't go?'

I clench my arms tighter around him, and say softly,

'Cam- I can't control that, one day I might be sent to another pack to work for them, or I might get a headache or a cold and not be able to see you.'

'I'll protect you from the cold Miss Evey, we can share my blankets if you want'

'I'll do my best to stay Cam, don't you worry about it'

'You promise?' His big eyes melting my heart.

'I promise'

'Ok.' He hugs me quick, whispering in my ear,

'I love you Evey'

And he runs outside to play.

My heart clenches hard, and I blink back the tears threatening to spill. I grab the trolley from the side wall and start to clear the children's table putting away first the plates and glasses onto the lower compartments and the butter, sugar and such on the top. My work is made extra hard with my trying to keep the tears at bay, wiping my eyes quickly here and now. I look up as I hear sniffles, to the pack members who has mixed emotions on their faces. The women are on the verge of tears whilst the men are looking at me with kindness. This is more than I can bear and I smile at them, turning away to hide the waterfall flowing from my eyes, discreetly wiping it with a napkin.